Rebecca's 55 Gallon Aquarium Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I wasn't fully for sure if I should post this in the DIY Thread or the Amphibian Thread.

Anyways,

Alright, so after having a 55G tank laying around for what seems like forever, I finally decided what I wanted to do to it. And since the 75 is currently on hold I wanted to jump right into my project with the 55. After closer inspection of the tank I decided it would be safest if it wasn't full of water :) so I decided on a vivarium instead.

It didn't tank me long to reseal the tank because the old silicone was falling off anyways

ForumRunner_20120822_235829.jpg

So I lugged the thing into the house and somehow managed to put it on the table (that part still amazes me).

After the old silicone was off and new was on, I let it completely dry for a few days then began to cut my styrofoam for my background

ForumRunner_20120822_235851.jpg

I have been doing allot of reading on the use of foam in an aquarium and decided that this was the best route to go with for the background, so I cut an additional piece of styrofoam for the right corner where I will be sticking a water pump in for my waterfall and foamed the rest. The left side has yet to be foamed which will have to wait until payday but I will create a ledge to provide additional climbing spaces for my inhabitants.

ForumRunner_20120823_000324.jpg

The driftwood was cleaned, soaked, and dried before hand to prevent any bacteria in the tank. Then was foamed in as well. The foam itself probably will be painted with Quikrete to create a rock effect.
Well that's all I got so far! I'll keep updating as I progress with the project.

I also have a thread with a few stocking questions for anyone able to help;
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f72/frog-questions-221650.html

bettaowner said:
I would want to setup a tank like that for mudskippers.

Mudskippers, although cute and very interesting, can be expensive and hard to find in the US. I'm more aiming the tank to be toward an environment for amphibians. I love frogs and am looking into a few different species such as Tree Frogs, Pacman Frogs, and/or Tomato Frogs.
Its all still basically up in the air and am doing thorough research on many different types before anything even hits the tank.
Thanks for the suggestion though! :)

Well I'll be getting the pump for the fountain Friday which means the build is on hold until then but I've already been planning ahead on the scape.
Don't know how I'm going to tie them in yet but I'll be purchasing the glow mushrooms for the logs soon.

_KGrHqFHJEQE88dE_y_BPYM_7jC3Q_60_1.jpeg
I am in love with the look of these, they are so cool.

Well picked up the pump, tubing, and pvc today. Foamed a bit more, added an area where the water will pool and also added a few more pieces of wood.

PicsArt_1346465306467.jpg
(picture was taken sideways, the tank is standing upright on my dining room table)

Its slowly coming together :)

Looks awesome!! So mad I'm just now seein this :( my background I did all out of styro and this looks so much easier, and cooler! :) can't wait to see it done!

This. Is. So. AWESOME.

:popcorn:

You have a real gift for this. It reminds me so much of my 3-D sculptural design class I took some years ago, in terms of the materials.

I'm working on mudding it now, I'll take pictures when I'm done playing in the concrete. I'm kinda too messy to work my camera at this particular point and time.
Thanks for the compliments everyone!

My muddy mess! it's full of muddy messy concretey goodness lol

20120901_000235.jpg
Yes I'm standing on the table :)
(how my moms old antique table held the tank and my weight, I'll never know. If she found out I had concrete on her table......)

I have to wait until it dries, flip the tank, concrete that side and do the same for the other side. I think the waiting period between things drying and setting is plain awful :(

A few more pictures after I added a bit more concrete

PicsArt_1346483670625.jpg20120901_021104.jpg20120901_021055.jpg20120901_021117.jpg

That's all for tonight :) I'm tired and will finish the other side tomorrow sometime after it all dries for the night

Holes were drilled for the pump tubing and then my husband and I somehow managed to haul this thing outside to be painted, the tank could easily weigh 250+lbs.
Soon I'll start construction for the stand, I've got an idea from a wise friend for that :)

Back
Top Bottom