Recycled Tank, DIY setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquastew

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, the project has started. I fractured my shoulder blade at work, so have found myself with loads of time on my hands, (or hand, as it is at the minute!)

I'm recycling a tank from my friend, 65l, that he used to keep crickets in for his lizards. I have cleaned it up and sterilised it with antibac etc. (Pic 1)

As I'm looking to have this as an aquascape, I need some decent lighting. But I'm also a big fan of the minimal-equipment look... So here comes my first bit of tank DIY...
As you can see from the pics, the high intensity LED strip runs round the front of the tank and both sides, and will be used as a "viewing light". More light will be needed from the top to ensure healthy plans growth.
I was quite lucky with the size of the LED strip and the black rim on the top of the tank, as it conceals the lights perfectly from the outside! Also the wire is thin enough to run under the black rim, and down the seam if the tank, so is also hidden well, satisfying my hunger for hiding the equipment!!

Any further suggestions or criticisms welcome...

I'll keep the project running and obviously keep you guys updated!

Attachments

• image-2257720955.jpg
    image-2257720955.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 241
  • image-198560493.jpg
    image-198560493.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 230
  • image-3025106737.jpg
    image-3025106737.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 238
  • image-2628570094.jpg
    image-2628570094.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 235
100%, already tested in a bowl. It's completely sealed down to the connection of wires, which is well below the bottom of the tank! That was my first thought!!
:)

Did you stick a voltmeter in the water? The LEDs may light up, but still be putting current in the water.

No but I will now!
I've got an ampmeter which measures voltage! I'll have an experiment and see what I find! Hopefully all will be ok!

All ready for my Christmas tree moss! Delivery due tomorrow so shall update with pics once the substrate and water is in too!

Attachments

• image-2308344524.jpg
    image-2308344524.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 219
Nice piece of wood! Is that going to be a moss tree? If you have trouble getting it to stand up, attach a piece of plexiglas to the bottom with a couple stainless screws and bury the plexiglas in the substrate.

Yeah, it's gunna be my attempt at a moss tree...
Thanks for the stand idea, you've solved one of my problems that I was gunna ask!

The wood came as a good looking piece, but I gathered some twigs from the wood box at my local aquatics store, asked the shop keeper how much and he told me to out them in my pocket and say no more! SCORE! So I've attached a few more twigs just to support the moss a bit better!

Plants have arrived... Still waiting on the substrate delivery??? Hmmmm

Will they be ok for a couple of days in a bright area, in the pots they were delivered in?

Attachments

• image-4219716768.jpg
    image-4219716768.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 179
Space them out so all the plants get some light and you should be good. Aquatic farmers often just let the potted plants sit in a bare tank to grow.

Started planning the layout of my tank with some gravel and stones. Going for an oak tree over a stream style. I've still got to finish it off with more stones and aquarium sand... Oh and of course the plants!

Attachments

• image-730131280.jpg
    image-730131280.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 158
Just for your info Aquastew, an ampmeter measures amps, and has to be inline of the load.. Putting the lights in water and sticking the terminals of the ampmeter in there wont do any good.. You need a voltmeter and you would most likely be checking for millivolts.. put the probes of a voltmeter on opposite sides of the bowl of water and check for any stray voltage..

Shane.

From my experience with electricity and the way LEDs get power (low voltage and amperage) if the water has any direct contact with the circuit it will draw enough current to over load the circuit (too much amperage than the power supply puts out) and heat up the thermal fuse in the power supply and the LEDs will shut off

If you stick the led strip under water and no LEDs go out then there isn't a problem

But you can always coat them in some marine grade silicon to be safe lol

Well... Ive placed the LED's at the top of the tank and will not be filling the tank that high. I did test the LEDs and seemed to be ok, but there will always be a 2-3cm gap between the LEDs and the surface.

I got my substrate from the internet and managed to plant my hairgrass, also got my moss tree assembled with fishing line and alas, my aquarium finally gets some water in! :D

Looking forward to the hairgrass filling out and carpeting and the moss bushing up!

Attachments

• image-3903107643.jpg
    image-3903107643.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 142
  • image-2819821971.jpg
    image-2819821971.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 159
Hi, it's been a while, but as they say, these things take time!
In reply to the last post... I'm not sure!

There's a picture of my progress so far below.

I keep getting green hair algae all over my moss and general algae on the glass, but now seems to have slowed down after a few water changes and adjustments to the light timings!

I have no stock in there apart from some water flea-type things that I guess came in on the plants... But also some small White work things that seem to multiply on the glass sides? I can only describe them as a close up on a bacteria colony like what you see on the tv science shows, the biggest being about 2mm and the smallest being about 1/4 of a mm? Any idea :-
• what they are?
• if they're harmful to potential fish?
• and, how to clear the tank of them if they are bad?

Ta, Stew

Ok, no photo.... Pharse error on forum whatever that is ?

I think I know what your talking about. I had little worm Like things on my glass at one time but I never knew what they were and they just went away after a while. They didn't seem to disturb anything in my tank, none of my fish or plants were harmed. But I can't be sure unless I saw them lol

Back
Top Bottom