Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2009, 12:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks BigJim,

It definitely does reassure me that I'm still in the safe zone because there are many out there that do think I'm crazily overstocking. I like your stock as well, nice.

Does this mean that if I can figure out how to avoid a male Betta from overeating while feeding the others I can have one again. I think my last one, a Double Tailed, died ultimately due to it. He never bothered anuone and they too left him a lone swimming in and out of every single tunnel, crevice, plant, etc, that he could fit into.

Back to the subject, I got the AC50 new delivered for $34 and it's still in the mail. I've decided to stick to keeping it hanging in the rear but will place it to the furthest left side and glue together a acrylic channel taking the flow to the front and aimed to the opposite end, I'll then use suction cups to hold it in place. Of course I'll first simply hang the HOB aimed that way first to see the results from the Cardinals behavior. Man, I sure hope it works.

That will probably be cheaper than messing with the glass.

Filter: AquaClear 50 with foam, fiber, & 2 biomax bags
selvan777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

I was going to post a question regarding the use of ABS but did some research first, below is what I found. What's your take on the use of ABS?

Reeflands Forum - View Single Post - is black abs plastic safe to use?

Once there you can click on "Thread: is black abs plastic safe to use? at the top right to read "Post #57" for even more reassurance.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You could just use plexi or lexan found at Lowes. Cut out a bottom and top piece to the shape that you are looking for making sure to round the corners for better fluid dynamics. Then cut sides and cement it to the top and bottom pieces. You would need to fabricate hangers to hold it on the side. You could cut holes in the bottom to decrease water flow.

Just my two cents

Bear
Old 11-22-2009, 12:54 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

John,

Thanks, I'll stop by Lowes today and inquire about plexi or lexan. AFAIK, those are just types of plastics, but you seem to be referring to a specif prefabricated item that may help a lot as is.

Am I way off ? What item are you speaking of ?

I already bought ($2) a small & thin sheet of ABS from Tap Plastics that's easily moldable by bending but at that price, I can find other use for it else where.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How thick is the ABS?? for you to get good seams that will hold you will need 1/8 to 1/4 inck plexi, and maybe thinner on the sides. Plus the Plexi will be clear and look cleaner. Also what do you use to cement the ABS? have to make sure that it is safe, the soulvant used for plexi melts the two pieces together and is safe for fish.

May cost more in the end, but will work well I think.

Good luck

Bear
Old 11-22-2009, 10:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi and thanks again John.

The ABS is less than 1/16" thick, closer to 1/32". It's small, light weight, easy to work with and is black to match my background. Anyway, I plan on installing this contraption so it's hidden completely behind the existing black ABS rim on the top of the tank.

As for glue, I've learned a new word... potable. Weld-On 747 is potable and apparently adheres to ABS and is probably available at any pool supply shop, don't know how much $$$ though. But I may not need it.

Picture a shoebox cover, if you will, but rather than a perfect rectangle, it's more a pie shape collecting water from the larger end (the end directly under the outlet of hob on the rear glass) and exiting on the side of the box causing the water to flow along the front glass at the narrow end (the end directly opposite at the front glass). I can cut the ABS to size with scissors, bend the edges to make walls which will be against the end and front glass of the tank. I can drill holes in the ABS to use suction cups that usually are sold with metal hooks to hang things on in the shower to retain it after removing the hook and shoving it into the holes I drilled. And use regular aquarium glue to close the corners only to prevent water seepage while it makes the turn at the one and only corner at the narrow end (no weight, pressure, or stress).

If not enough current is generated, I'm thinking I can try to elevate the hob just a bit so gravity can do a better job.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:48 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi Selvan. I also have a 20 long with AC50. I don't know if you'll be happy with it to generate alot of water current. Mine is wimpy. My Marineland Bio Wheel 200 is rated the same gph(200), and it's a MONSTER compared to the AC50(in size and amount of water pumped). Like Big Jim suggested, I added a small powerhead on the other side of the tank.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:38 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

MrNitrite, thanks. That's good info. Now I'm thinking Return To Sender may be in the works, it's sched for delivery this Tues from eBay. That Penguin 200 is very affordable but it seems like most prefer the quality of the AquaClear's. Maybe I'll just add the Powerhead if I find I still need it.

Tell me, did your white clouds and corys not school with just the Penguin 200 and is that why you added the powerhead? Or were there other driving factors to your wanting all that current?

Remember I'm not really looking for a lot of current, just enough to get my cardinals to school often.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:59 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

The Penguin 200 is on the 29 gallon Goldfish tank. When I just had the AC50 on the 20, there was hardly no movement in the water. When the powerhead was added, that really got things moving. The fish are a little more active now. You may want to consider getting the Penguin 200 and not use the bio wheel. In the past I've had problems with the wheel not turning. This one I got used did not come with the bio wheel. So I bought the Aqua Clear Biomax pellets in the mesh bag and dropped it in behind the filter cartridge. It's the best of both worlds-pumps lots of water and no potential bio wheel problems.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Same issue on my 52 with a ac70 on it. I had to add a ac20 powerhead to get circulation, its more then enough for the tank, the danios use it the most.

My ac20 on my 40gT throws out more pressure then the ac50 sitting right next to it does, both wide open. I am thinking about drilling quite a few more holes in the basket on the impeller side to see if it helps.

MrNitrite, how dirty does the BioMax get being upstream from the mechanical and chemical filtration? I aquired two more aquatechs( no bio wheel penguins) recently and wasnt having luck with them set up like my AC filtration, at one point the water was dripping from the outlet.

Tags
filter, hob, hob filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com