Redirecting water ourlet on HOB filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
... Marineland Bio Wheel 200 is rated the same gph(200), and it's a MONSTER compared to the AC50(in size and amount of water pumped)...

Not to doubt you in any way but is it just me or does anyone else find it real odd that both are rated 200gph and yet there is such a big difference in obvious flow? It seem like the heavier flow has to be pumping more gph.

... My ac20 on my 40gT throws out more pressure then the ac50 sitting right next to it ...

I wonder if this is due to the much wider exit mouth on the ac50.

Either way, in all fairness to the manufacturer, these ac power filters are only designed to filter and not generate current.

Speaking of which, I just got a crazy idea.

We all know how siphoning works and see the current developed from it without the use electricity. Has anyone tried just using a hose positioned in the upper area, stretched upward and out of the tank, then brought back into the lower mid area of the tank to have a free and constant flow? Maybe not as powerful as an ac powerhead but enough to encourage schooling perhaps?

Thanks for the all the input everyone, it seems they prefer calmer waters.

I hung the ac50 on the side of the tank so the water flowed across the front glass over the abs sheet cut and formed so it rested directly on top of the existing mouth with a lip down into the filter chamber to hold it in place for the last couple days now.

I made the exit opening just 1" wide and above the water level. The noise of water pouring into the tank was enough to drown-out all other noises like the 2 2" micro bubbles popping.

It did created enough current pushing all into the glass at the opposite lower end. Some fish would get into the current just to go for a ride sideways across the glass. But the Cardinals, for the most part, avoided it all together. They are much more graceful schoolers in calm waters and definitely prefer it.

In seeing that, I hung the ac50 in the rear centered to the opening and modified the abs so the water exiting only skims the top hitting the front glass and dispersing equally to either side reducing any current but still obtaining adequate circulation.

BTW, I tried that crazy idea in the sink and it didn't work at all. Went upward 3' - 4' and water just sat there. But the same with the exit in the empty sink worked.

Back
Top Bottom