Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Redirecting water ourlet on HOB filter

Hi,

I'm mainly keeping Cardinals in a 20 long with an AquaClear 50 HOB and am placing it in the back far right corner.

To encourage my schoolers to school I'd like to make a contraption that would divert the water from the HOB into a channel that would take the flow straight to the front glass and turn so it's enters the tank along the front glass from one end to the next.

The exit chamber of the HOB is pretty wide and I'm thinking i I can figure out a way to narrow that channel at the exit point, it would probably increase the force enough to do the trick.

Hanging the HOB on the side would be an easy alternative but I'd have to cut the all-glass canopy to accommodate it. Keep in mind too that the canopy is only 12" wide (including the plastic rear strip) and the HOB is 7" wide. Meaning to point out that the HOB would extend beyond the (un-used) middle hinge of the canopy.

I don't use the hinge because rather than lift the canopy open to feed I slide the whole thing (canopy and light hood) back to open the front. I do place my light hood on the portion that lifts up directly in front.

What do you think?

I've searched these DIY threads and could not find a previous similar venture.

Thanks

Filter: AquaClear 50 with foam, fiber, & 2 biomax bags
selvan777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

You know what, in hind sight, I think I'll just have a glass canopy cut to fit the outer most edge (rather than the standard inside lip) with a cut-out for the HOB on the side front and continue sliding back for feeding and/or remove for maintenance.

BTW, the light hood is 28", the HOB portion that hangs inside is 1.5" from the outside, and the tank is 30.25" outside. Meaning to say it should fit fine.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure the AC would generate enough water movement for you. What you described could probably be done with acrylic, but I think it'd be cheaper (and easier) to use a small powerhead.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks.

Ya, I don't know....yet! But will find out soon when I put it there temporarily (it's in the mail).

Right now with my AC20 situated so the outlet is direct center in the rear aimed to the front glass, the Cardinals tend to turn to it when swimming by and almost always speed up the pace when just passing it at the front glass.

So I think it's looking promising with doubling the output going to an AC50.

I've looked at the powerheads (even the smallest) and would rather not have to add any more devices if I don't have to. The thought of just hanging the AC50 on the side in plain view is already a turn-off I'm trying to get over as is... haha
Old 11-18-2009, 05:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

or you could always go with a small canister filter... that would be a super easy way to direct the flow however you want

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks.

True, but with the fish stock I plan to have, the AC50 is minimum, even in a well planted 20 long.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

sorry, i didnt understand what you meant by "minimum"... are you talking filtration wise, money, space? If space and money arent the issue, then a canister such as a fluval 205 would provide better filtration as well as the solution to the problem

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes, filtration.

I'm planning on having:

18 Cardinals
08 Cory Pygmy
06 Endler males
03 Ghost Shrimp
03 Otos

While getting advice on the setup I mentioned I had an AC20. So it was suggested I double it up with 2 of them. With no thought of encouraging schooling of the fish it was decided that an AC50 would be sufficient to handle the bio load.

Thanks for suggesting the Fluval 205, I'll have to check it out, especially since it will solve the problem too.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:35 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow, it's a bit out of my league I'm afraid.
Back to the drawing board.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:38 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just so you know, I don't think your stocking list is a huge bioload. The endlers are probably the messiest fish, and that's not saying much. Cardinals and otos don't really produce much bioload and neither do the shrimp. Overfiltering is generally a good thing, but don't get the idea that you're stuffing the tank bioload-wise.

You've done a good job of stocking your swimming layers in the tank. The corys will stay near the bottom most of the time, the cardinals tend to stay mid-level, and the endlers stay near the top. As long as your fish aren't visually cramped, let your water parameters tell you how overstocked your tank is.

I have a 29g with 8 dwarf neon rainbows, two swordtails, two platies, two otos, a striped raphael (8"+), a pictus cat (7.5"-8"), 5 khulis, 3 mystery snails, and a ton of MTS. Using a Penguin 200B, which is rated up to 55g, my water parameters never vary from 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites, 5ppm nitrate, and I'm really bad about PWCs. Maybe I change some water out once or twice a month.

Tags
filter, hob, hob filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com