Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

reef safe wood?

i am trying to replicate a mangrove lagoon aquascape and i need to come up with a way to make wood sticks reef safe as i have heard even driftwood will lower ph. i do not want to use any of the synthetic wood ornaments i have seen available on the market as they are all in the form of small tree trunks and i need several different large sticks (130 gallon aquarium). i also do not want to grow live mangrove. could i coat driftwood sticks in a dark brown stained epoxy resin. anyone have any ideas?

Old 10-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingodan View Post
i am trying to replicate a mangrove lagoon aquascape and i need to come up with a way to make wood sticks reef safe as i have heard even driftwood will lower ph. i do not want to use any of the synthetic wood ornaments i have seen available on the market as they are all in the form of small tree trunks and i need several different large sticks (130 gallon aquarium). i also do not want to grow live mangrove. could i coat driftwood sticks in a dark brown stained epoxy resin. anyone have any ideas?
Not all driftwood will lower your PH. Plus if you boil it and remove the tannins it should not be a problem. I wouldn't risk adding any type of paint inside a saltwater tank. You could put a brown base coat on the wood with a non toxic paint then coat it with krylon clear.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshenanagins View Post

Not all driftwood will lower your PH. Plus if you boil it and remove the tannins it should not be a problem. I wouldn't risk adding any type of paint inside a saltwater tank. You could put a brown base coat on the wood with a non toxic paint then coat it with krylon clear.
what do you mean by not all driftwood? what types are ok?
Old 10-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Every piece of driftwood has the potential to affect PH but bogwood is at the the top. Other than bogwood you can't expect much of a PH swing unless driftwood covers the tank from top to bottom. Once you boil it and rid it of all the tannins it's PH reducing ability is severely diminished so I wouldn't worry about this.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I definitely wouldn't go through with wood. It can add unnecessary elements to the water like phosphates that will kill some invertebrates and cause major algal blooms. Although if you heavily plant the tank, then maybe it would possibly work. No corals will thrive with the wood, so corals are out of the picture with wood in the tank. Who knows though, you'd never know until you try.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliant_Barbs_21 View Post
I definitely wouldn't go through with wood. It can add unnecessary elements to the water like phosphates that will kill some invertebrates and cause major algal blooms. Although if you heavily plant the tank, then maybe it would possibly work. No corals will thrive with the wood, so corals are out of the picture with wood in the tank. Who knows though, you'd never know until you try.
Would not boiling it a couple times remove any unnecessary mineral contents?
Old 10-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshenanagins View Post
Would not boiling it a couple times remove any unnecessary mineral contents?
Temporarily, but the saltwater can really erode the wood to bring it out over time. I think your best bet is to buy something from petco, petsmart, your lfs, etc. Here's an article on the topic: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...d-sw-tank.html
Old 10-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

how about making my own synthetic wood branches? anyone know how?
Old 10-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

whats wrong with coating branches in some kind of epoxy resin or sealer if the same technique is used to make wooden aquariums?
Old 10-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingodan View Post
whats wrong with coating branches in some kind of epoxy resin or sealer if the same technique is used to make wooden aquariums?
I would think it's no problem. Use several coats or dippings to ensure it is entirely sealed to prevent rot and leaching

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com