Reflective Mylar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

workfortheman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all, I'm trying to upgrade my lights for a planted tank, and think my reflector is useless (aluminum foil). I've been looking for reflective mylar everywhere, and the hydroponic store only sells it in 25' rolls, over $20!

Anyone know where I can get smaller amounts of this stuff, for cheaper?

this is a doubtful suggestion but might be worht a shot... get out your local yellowpages and search for a local hydroponic store, and see if they would be willing to just give you a few feet, off a roll, a local shop would probably help you out vs an internet store. another idea is try contacting a commerical lighting distruber they might carry reflective mylar, and would probably would help you out.

my other idea, is try to find a few friends on the forum that might want some of the mylar and just purchase the 20dollar roll with the intent to sell the surplus either on this forum or ebay - someone in the world has to be in your situation as well (only needing a few ft and not an entire roll of it).

sorry i couldn't offer anything better though, i will see if i can find a place that will sell smaller sections of it though.

Well, I asked the hydroponics store about it, they were unable to sell smaller quantities.

Good idea, though, about splitting up the bigger roll. But I think it's a pain to ship (don't want to bend it too much, etc)

I found this:

http://www.misterart.com/store/view.cfm?store=001&group_id=568

which is ordered by the foot ($3/foot). BUT it ends up being like over $10 for a couple feet since they charge $5 for handling. Plus I'm not too sure it's exactly the right stuff (was looking at getting the silver colored one).

Anyone interested in splitting some mylar?

ALSO, has anyone EVER used this stuff as a reflective element in hoods? The hydroponics guy says it does not do well exposed to moisture.

I think Ive seen rolls of it on ebay for as little as $12..
But.. it would be far more then you would need..

I havent used mylar before.. I would assume it would depend on if you have a glass hood or other covering for your tank, IME the lighting fixtures get almost zero humidity if there is glass between them and the water.

I've read of people using a reflective material used for RC airplanes, but never bookmarked the article. AHSupply sells their reflectors separately, and considering the reflector shape and time needed to replicate it, it may be the better choice: http://ahsupply.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=9

If you get the mylar, PM me. I'm interested in a couple feet depending on shipping cost, or we can trade or something.

workfortheman said:
Hey all, I'm trying to upgrade my lights for a planted tank, and think my reflector is useless (aluminum foil). I've been looking for reflective mylar everywhere, and the hydroponic store only sells it in 25' rolls, over $20!

Anyone know where I can get smaller amounts of this stuff, for cheaper?

I have some you can have for the cost of shipping. Let me know

hi...

Question on standard hoods...

I bought a tank as a kit, with the hood. I was wondering if I took out the florescent bulb and put mylar in the hood, and reinstalled the florescent bulb, if it would be better than without the mylar? Any comments welcome...

Lonewolfblue.. that would depend on the current reflector thats in the hood.. if its just white then the mylar could help get the light to penitrate further down into deeper water.. If its for a planted tank.. I would overdrive that puppy.. :p

It's just white plastic. And not a shiny plastic either. I might try some mylar. Would silver work best, or is there a white mylar? The sites I found only have silver, gold, and other colors, and no white.

I would assume siver would be fine.. I just asked if its white because that is common.. not because its best... brushed/marred in some way allumium seems to be the best from what Ive seen

I think so. Mylar has a reflectivity of like 98% or something, which is better than the white plastic that comes with standard strip lights.
Try the link above if youa ren't looking to purchase a bundle!

Lonewolfblue, this would have been better as a new topic.

To answer your question. It depends.

What putting something like reflective mylar in a fixture does is it will increase the amount of light reflected back down to the tank. If your light fixture is square, this will have little effect, if it has LOTS of smaller angles or is already kind of round or even better is triangle shape. It would help a lot more.

Before you spend the money on mylar, take some tinfoil and tape it into the light fixture. If you notice it's brighter, spend the money for the more permanent mylar, if not don't waste your money.

Back
Top Bottom