Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

A hang on overflow would be a million times more reliable than some contraption with having to match flow. There's absolutely no way you can reliably use two pumps to do what you're looking to do. You'd have a full siphon going from the fuge to the tank, and the pump from the dt would have head height to deal with... not to mention the possibility of something stopping one of the lines either way and dumping no telling how much water out.

The ONLY way you can reliably make this work is to drill the refugium and have it overflow in to the DT.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
A hang on overflow would be a million times more reliable than some contraption with having to match flow.

The ONLY way you can reliably make this work is to drill the refugium and have it overflow in to the DT.
I would completly agree with you! I would not recommend putting a pump inside your tank to pump out water for this setup. A HOB overflow is many time more reliable than this idea. I personally have a HOB overflow and it is extremly.reliable.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtra51 View Post
I would have to disagree on you with this one. You can get a ball valve and control them that way. it is quite hard to do, by not totally impossible. I would personally suggest getting mag drives instead of doing this though.
Mag Drives?

Type of pump? Lol, sorry...still rather new to the wide world of saltwater filtration (which I love) but not sure what a mag drive is
Old 03-09-2012, 12:24 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmoney6980 View Post
Mag Drives?

Type of pump? Lol, sorry...still rather new to the wide world of saltwater filtration (which I love) but not sure what a mag drive is
No you are okay! Mag drives are a type of pump. they are cheap and are really reliable. Google
Hope this helps!
Old 03-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtra51 View Post
I would completly agree with you! I would not recommend putting a pump inside your tank to pump out water for this setup. A HOB overflow is many time more reliable than this idea. I personally have a HOB overflow and it is extremly.reliable.
What brand of overflow would be worth looking into? I want one that I won't have to constantly worry about if it's goin to malfunction and flood the house lol.

Drilling the refuge shouldnt be a problem if this would help, but for this to work, would it have to sit higher than the DT?
Old 03-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

It would not have to sit higher, it would have to sit lower. You would get a Mag drive ( a pump) to pump the water back into the display. This link would get you starting in the whole setup of things. It took me awhile to figure out what actually to do. Sump setup - Google Search I would get an aqueon on a used forum. They should have one here. You could always make your own sump too if you would like.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another reason 2 pumps would not work is one will be aided by gravity, the other is working against it.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmoney6980 View Post
Mag Drives?

As said just before, they are a pump. Very reliable and with a little searching you can get a good deal. I just ordered a 1800 for $130 with free shipping. You can also look it up by the manufacture, danner eugene.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malawi Freak View Post
Another reason 2 pumps would not work is one will be aided by gravity, the other is working against it.
+1 I totally agree with you!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malawi Freak View Post
Hhhhmmmm . . . hence the terms "siphone" and "head height" used earlier in the thread .

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com