Refugium Idea...Input Please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wy Renegade said:
Hhhhmmmm . . . hence the terms "siphone" and "head height" used earlier in the thread ;).

Hence the reason I said those terms because obviously if they knew what that was they wouldn't be thinking of setting this up.

Hence the reason I said those terms because obviously if they knew what that was they wouldn't be thinking of setting this up.

Yep, got that . . . just wanted to point out to the OP, that the same ideas had been referenced earlier in the thread . . . tis how we learn eh?

So plan #3758692635163:

Drill the fuge, have it siphoned in from the DT, then returned back via the pump.

Or...

Drill the fuge, have water pumped to it via an overflow box, then pumped back via a pump inside the fuge.

Do either of these sound better? Am I getting closer? Lol

Thank you everyone for the input!

They mentioned putting the refugium above the display tank and having it fed by a pump and then drain back by gravity.
If you are going with your first option you mentioned, you don't have to drill the sump tank.
If you don't want to drill the display, then buy a HOB overflow and return water with a single pump.

The reason a sump is out of the picture is because the tank can't be drilled, and ive looked into doin an overflow box, but those seem like too high of a risk chance there of flooding my floors.

Now my next question...Would the best route be just to buy 2 exact pumps? One for the inlet, one for the outlet?

I really like the whole idea and setup of a refugium, and really want to make sure I do this right lol I appreciate any and all ideas!

I am confused about how setting up a fuge is any different than setting up a sump? You are looking at the same principal - an overflow, and a return, regardless of the application here.

If you are worried about reliability, a HOB overflow is the way to go. That is the only way to minimize the risk of flooding your house. Trying to match 2 pumps using ball valves as flow restricters would end in disaster, as mentioned by several above.
So plan #3758692635163:

Drill the fuge, have it siphoned in from the DT, then returned back via the pump.

Or...

Drill the fuge, have water pumped to it via an overflow box, then pumped back via a pump inside the fuge.

Do either of these sound better? Am I getting closer? Lol

Thank you everyone for the input!

It sounds like you are getting closer - but again, your best option is to just put an HOB overflow on the DT, and have a return pump in the fuge. Least opportunity for disaster.

It sounds like you are getting closer - but again, your best option is to just put an HOB overflow on the DT, and have a return pump in the fuge. Least opportunity for disaster.

Sorry for the huge delay since my last reply, I recently got married and just returned from the honeymoon.

That's what I was thinking to be the best, just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. I definately don't want to put the fuge above the DT, my wife has pictures and such all around the tank and stuff like that.

Now my last question, what are some good, reasonabley priced, trusty, and dependable brands of overflow boxes that people have used, and are still using? Moneys not a huge deal, but I'm not going to spend $500 on one, especially if people have had success with $100-200 on some.

Thank you all who have given their advice! Once again, its much appreciated!

You need to drill. It's the best solution. You can YOUTUBE how to drill the glass. I recomend drilling toward the top and having it over flow from the side. Many drill the bottom and have a pipe come to the surface level but this is risky. Id rather clean up a couple gallons rather than the whole volume of your tank. You simply won't be able to cheat the laws of physics.

Back
Top Bottom