Refugium question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kgriffith

Aquarium Advice Regular
Searched around a bit and I cant find the answer to my question... I want to add a refugium to my setup but am concerned about removing the bio balls from my wet dry.. Couldn't I just use a 10g tank, drill a bulkhead towards the top that will overflow into the return area of the wet dry. Use a minijet 606 to provide water to the refugium.. Would this setup be okay? So the refugium would be after the bioballs. I have a basic 10g tank in the basement that I would like to use but want to be sure that I am not going about it the wrong way. Thanks guys

You dont think it will be enough for my setup? I thought that a slow flow was good for a refugium. What would you suggest for a 10g refugium overflow? I would be concerned that too large of a pump would draw faster than it can overflow and flood.

You want the flow to be slower than you would have through a standard sump, but the 606's flow is really low. As far as concerned for overflowing, that really depends on what size hole you intend to drill through the 10g to allow for the overflow to operate.

The minijet, IIRC, only operates at a max of 150gph or so. When you add in head losses and line loss, you're actual configuration will vary, but most likely it'll be quite a bit lower than that.

I would consider something up in the 300gph range for a pump, to give you operation in the 200-250gph range.

Oh, and drilling a 10g isn't easy. It's doable (took me a few attempts, but I got it and that's what Im using for my fuge now), but the glass is very thin and easy to crack.

Back
Top Bottom