Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Refugium Questions

Hello, after doing a bit of research on refugiums and discovering how benaficial one may be for my aquarium I've decided to make one.
I found a few links of people modifying aquaclear filters into them so im going to be taking that road and even managed to pick up a aquaclear 150. Now this is where my questions arise as to what exactly do I put into the refugium, Ive heard cheato? but what exactly is this and how is it benaficial? would the refugium need a sandbed? and how deep? is deeper better? or should it be shallow?
should the subtrate be fine or course?

Im sorry for all the questions , but this should serfice for now
and for your time...

Old 02-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I woyuld just add live rock and some chaeto. It is a macro algae that as it grows uses up nutrients from the water. The idea is for it to grow there and not have other algae grow in the tank and the growing cheato can suck up nitrates as nutrients.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

so no substrate at all, can it be problematic or something? what if i wanted to seed sum pods or keep a little critter or two inside the refugium
Old 02-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

im slightly torn because on another forum I read that a dsb is almost a must sumwhere in the aqaurium and in my dt its only about a inch 1/2 deep, of crushed coral too :s im thinking about switching to sand, is that a wise choice?
Old 02-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

With a refugium that small I would pass on the sand. I don't believe there is enough surface area to make it worth while.

I would agree that sand would make a better substrate. If you decide to change it out you can take 1/4 of the gravel/cc out every water change. You don't want to do it all at once.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

so should I be addings sum of the new substrate at the same time im taking out the old stuff?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

and one more question before i do anything experimental on my tank is i have alot of crushed dry rock well crushed is an understatment I should say 'obliterated dry rock' would this make a suitable substrate?
its a very very fine grain basicaly sand.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would replace the section you take out. Thats why you do it in sections.

Not sure about obliterated rock, LOL, I've always used either aragonite sand or pool filter sand when I need alot.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

This is my tank and the sump/refugium I made out of a 75gal. I put snails and crabs in to help with the clean-up. Hope this helps you!

Tags
algae, benaficial, refugium, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com