Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Refurbishing a 20 Hex - advice needed

I pulled out my old (25+ years) 20 gallon hex that I haven't used in over 5 years and would like to clean it up and set it up in my dining room. I have several questions so please bear with me. I currently have it outside filled with water to check for leaks too.

I need a new top - I think I will have to take measurements and have the glass shop cut pieces for me. Where do I buy the hinge piece and the plastic back strip? I assume I can get a stick on handle at the LFS. (which isn't local - 90+ miles.) Not sure if they have the other parts, never seen them anyway.

The molding/frame on the aquarium is plastic made to look like wood but I see a few places it is missing the design. Can I get any spray paint made for plastic or is some better than others? The stand is particle board, I think I will paint that a dark brown as well. (not a huge fan of black).

Thank you,

Snowdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Here is a site for the hinge that I had bookmarked . You could ask in the classified section here and see if anyone has that or the back strip...

Perfecto Perfecto Aquarium Glass Replacement Hinge Aquarium Hood Parts

Any paint for plastic will work . May want to rough up the surface a little first and make sure to not get any inside of tank .
We are meant to be the stewards of the Earth and her creatures....not the masters.
Leeatl is offline   Reply With Quote

advice, hex

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com