Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
I hear ya , I'm going to look into some metal ties possible as long as they dont look so bulky . But if I can get a couple of plexi pieces to work that would be cool too .

Marco V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would not recommend that.

Brandon4432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #13
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
I don't like center brace either but it is there for a reason it's there
I was thinking of cutting it thinner but I hesitate I don't need the flood
Fish are like lifesavers
They come in different colors

54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just figure if your tank has a center brace it was put there in order for the rest of the tank to be made of thinner or weaker glass to save the aquarium maker some money. You may be able to redo the brace out of some clear acrylic , but I would have to be confident in my ability to bond the acrylic to the tank .
Saratj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Without the brace it will bow which could lead to oh no what have I done. One option cut the brace leave about a inch and a half on both ends place a piece of acrylic there and drill a hole through both and use a stainless steel bolt and locking nut to hold acrylic in place. Place the hole at least a inch back on frame support for strength .
Daniel Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Honesty please save yourself the trouble,money and headaches. It's there got support and actually is a vital part of the tank.

A friend of mine took the center brace out, cut it, filled it, stocked it, it was good for over a year and half maybe longer. The front glass literally shattered!! Almost exploded! No lie. It attributes the disaster to removing the center brace. They put it there for a reason.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:56 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I called aqueon today and they gave me the part number for the replacment trim piece. I called the lfs and asked them to look into it. Guy told me $60. FORGET THAT! I can pick up a new tank for about 125. The snake is happy so there he will stay...
I don't always build a reef, but when I do I take my time. Stay patient my friends.

Building a reef is like going back in time and being 5 years old at Christmas!
Pisces3473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:10 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
why not just cut out the section that's blocking light, get a similar piece of acrylic, and screw it to the brace using 2-3 stainless bolts on each end? that way the original brace is there and the led light shines through the clear part. the center brace was broken where it meets the back frame on my 72g bowfront. it literally bowed out 3-4 inches when full of water. I cut a piece of 2x4 to sandwich between the tank and wall, I then screwed a piece of metal strapping to the brace and then to the 2x4, been holding together like a charm

my 125g Sw...Round 2!http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...220171-33.html
ever see someone cut a 125g in half??
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com