Removing center brace on 4ft tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marco V

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anybody attempted to remove this brace on your tank ? I'm interested in removing mine because I'm going to be purchasing LED's soon and don't want the center of the tank to be darker . Any input will be appreciated .

Thanks

Ok now that i got your attention. That center peice helps support the middle of the glass. Without it, it wont be able to hold the pressure of the tank

That actually looks pretty good but I don't know how to go about getting it attached on the sides . Mines isn't plastic . But definitely got me thinking , thanks for the link .

Wouldn't the jb be harmful to the system ?

I was thinking make the plexi like a brack that would attach to the outside center of the top frame. If you JB weld on the outside it wouldn't matter much. If it's bad for the water or not, cause it wouldn't be inside the tank. I may have to try this as I actually have a 55g with a broken center brace. I could get some lexan from Home Depot, cut the pieces how I want and then apply it to the top of the tank. I cant find anybody that has a replacement frame so I've been thinking about this previously. The only hitch is, "What if it doesn't work?"

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear ya , I'm going to look into some metal ties possible as long as they dont look so bulky . But if I can get a couple of plexi pieces to work that would be cool too .

I don't like center brace either but it is there for a reason it's there
I was thinking of cutting it thinner but I hesitate I don't need the flood

Just figure if your tank has a center brace it was put there in order for the rest of the tank to be made of thinner or weaker glass to save the aquarium maker some money. You may be able to redo the brace out of some clear acrylic , but I would have to be confident in my ability to bond the acrylic to the tank .

Without the brace it will bow which could lead to oh no what have I done. One option cut the brace leave about a inch and a half on both ends place a piece of acrylic there and drill a hole through both and use a stainless steel bolt and locking nut to hold acrylic in place. Place the hole at least a inch back on frame support for strength .

Honesty please save yourself the trouble,money and headaches. It's there got support and actually is a vital part of the tank.

A friend of mine took the center brace out, cut it, filled it, stocked it, it was good for over a year and half maybe longer. The front glass literally shattered!! Almost exploded! No lie. It attributes the disaster to removing the center brace. They put it there for a reason.

I called aqueon today and they gave me the part number for the replacment trim piece. I called the lfs and asked them to look into it. Guy told me $60. FORGET THAT! I can pick up a new tank for about 125. The snake is happy so there he will stay...

why not just cut out the section that's blocking light, get a similar piece of acrylic, and screw it to the brace using 2-3 stainless bolts on each end? that way the original brace is there and the led light shines through the clear part. the center brace was broken where it meets the back frame on my 72g bowfront. it literally bowed out 3-4 inches when full of water. I cut a piece of 2x4 to sandwich between the tank and wall, I then screwed a piece of metal strapping to the brace and then to the 2x4, been holding together like a charm

Back
Top Bottom