Removing silicone.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carlt54

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Help! I've got a 125 gal. in need of repair.Last year my tank devoloped a major leak.(this happened while I was out of town for the weekend,needless to say I lost all my african cichlids) I need to tear this tank down and reseal it but I cant figure out how to get the trim off. Its seems that the trim is cemented on the inside as well as the outside of the trim. Now I have done 55's with no problems,I just used a hose hooked up to the hot water faucet and loosened the trim that way. Any suggestions.

I just removed the trim from one of my 55's. I used a 2 inch putty knife and a propane torch. I heated up the knife and gently slid it through the silicone. (Keeping the blade hot is key) Granted I basically had spots all the way around. Once it's off clean off the old silicone and re glue.

Just my 2 cents but it worked for me.

Removing the trim can be a pain. Somehow you have to cut through the silicon on both sides of the trim and usually its siliconed on top as well. Take a block of wood and a hammer once you've cut all the way through all the silicon and tap it up till it breaks loose in once spot. Once it comes loose, its usually not too bad to peel up the rest. I've never used it myself, but I've read that Acetone works well for removing the old silicon as well.

Removing the trim can be a pain. Somehow you have to cut through the silicon on both sides of the trim and usually its siliconed on top as well. Take a block of wood and a hammer once you've cut all the way through all the silicon and tap it up till it breaks loose in once spot. Once it comes loose, its usually not too bad to peel up the rest. I've never used it myself, but I've read that Acetone works well for removing the old silicon as well.

I also redid a 55,but I used a garden hooked up to the hotwater faucet and losened it that way(just softened the silicone and pulled apart).
My problem with the 125 is that the trim is glued on the inside of the tank as well as the outside. I want to try and save the trim because new trim is 45 bucks apiece.
I'm thinking of using a heat gun to soften the trim and(hopfully)pull it from the tank.

I also redid a 55,but I used a garden hooked up to the hotwater faucet and losened it that way(just softened the silicone and pulled apart).
My problem with the 125 is that the trim is glued on the inside of the tank as well as the outside. I want to try and save the trim because new trim is 45 bucks apiece.
I'm thinking of using a heat gun to soften the trim and(hopfully)pull it from the tank.

Heat gun might work very well. The method I described should allow to remove the trim in one piece - your just using the hammer and wooden block to break the silicon loose.

Understand, but put the block under the rim and tap up on the rim, it will come up. 125 is pretty thick glass, you're not going to break it by putting pressure on the silicon. Just don't hit the glass!

Heat gun seems to be working but its a slow go. Does anyone think heating the glass just enough to soften the silicone would harm the integerdy of the glass ie crack or become brittle.

I would maybe try a combo of everyone's advice. I used a hot razor blade and a putty knife when I resealed a buddies 55g. Usually once you get a corner up it goes easier. I just kept running the razor along the trim and gently lifting up.

I just literally did mine last night. I used a razor blade to cut it all the way across and had a buddy gently lift it as I worked across and like magic it came off. Worked great and I am now able to get the pane cut to exact dimensions.

Back
Top Bottom