Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-22-2004, 01:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via Yahoo to JenNewbie
Repairing a 42 gal tank?

I'm looking at buying a 42 gal setup. The tank is 48 x 18 x 12.5 and one of the 18 x 12.5 sides has a crack and needs to be replaced. I'm waiting to hear back from a couple of aquarium maintenance places, but it's looking like there really isn't anywhere where I can just take the tank to have it repaired. Is this a fairly straightforward repair and is it worth taking on? I'll read the articles in this forum to find out detailed info, but I just wanted to get a rough idea on what I might be getting myself into. Thanks!

2.5 gal: albino paradise fish (gave up on bettas)
20 gal: 3 fantail goldfish
75 gal tank: 2 discus, 1 blue dwarf gourami, 1 male blue gourami, 1 male gold gourami, 1 female platinum gourami, 1 kissing gourami, 2 balloon mollys, 1 sailfin molly, 1 black neon tetra, 1 white cloud, 1 T-bone rasbora, 14 dwarf neon rainbows, 2 leopard danios, 1 female betta, 1 male betta, 1 clown loaches, 1 clown pleco, 1 pit bull pleco, 1 dojo loach, 1 golden apple snail, 4 corys
JenNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 09:36 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
it's pretty straight forward, just be careful not to cut yourself on the glass when remoning the old piece.

use a razor blade or utility knife and trim out as much of the old silicon as you can around the piece to be removed. Try not to get the utility knife between the pieces as you don't want to chip the good sides. Once the silicone is removed the piece should come out without a lot of hassle (you may have to remove silicone on both the inside and out)

Once the glass is out throughly clean the edges of the good pieces and make sure you get off all the old silicone.

Go to a hardware store and have them cut you a piece of glass with the same dimensions and thickness as the one you're removing (bring the old piece with you).

Get a good tube of aquarium silicone and put the new piece of glass on the tank, use the silicone on it like the rest of the tank. Wait however long the tube says for COMPLETE CURING TIME (IMO, at least 24 hours) and fill with water and check for leaks!
Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote

repair, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com