Reptile tank inside of fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cunninghamdrew

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys! Usually I'm just a spectator but I can't seem to find any answers for me question so here goes...

Could I place say a 20 gallon tank inside of a larger maybe 80 gallon tank. The 20 gallon would be dry and for the reptiles and the aquarium would essentially be surrounding it.

Questions are... A. Can a tank take inward pressure as to not flood my terrarium? And B. Is this even humane? Any input positive or negative would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

First off, welcome to the forum!

It sounds cool but a few problems pop up right of the bat. How would you make sure that the terrarium doesn't just sink? Or are you just visualizing this as the bottom of the terrarium touching the bottom of the fish tank or there being space between the bottom of the terrarium and the tank bottom? Next, there is temperature issues. Temps would fluctuate in the terrarium because of the water around it and I don't think most reptiles like that. Doing maintenance on the aquarium would also be hard with a terrarium in the way.

IMO I think it'd be easier to just do a terrarium on the outside and have a tank next to it :) Cool idea though

Yeah the bottom of the terrarium would be touching the bottom of the aquarium, obviously finding the perfect tanks would be a task. Just curious but why would the water fluctuate the temperature of the terrarium? If anything I would think the heat rocks or heat lamps for the lizard would affect the aquarium more which is one of my main concerns. I still have lots to figure out but luckily I have a year to figure it out as I'm moving across country at the end of the year.
Maybe just a crazy idea but I think it would just be awesome to see my fish swimming around my lizards. Thanks for the response!

Well, I guess the temperatures would both affect each other. It's kind of water cooled motors or stuff like that works, water is brought in through a tube, wrapped around the motor and that cools it down with the water.

Look into palodariums, I just made one for my anole. Was a lot of fun and I think it looks great!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454879976.971451.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454880006.558481.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454880025.959880.jpg

These are a few pics of it, I did a 40 gallon breeder then made a screen top to enclose it. There's 4 anole, 1 fire belly newt, 4 harlequin rasbora (soon to be 8), two mystery snails, and 8 ghost shrimp. It's nice to because all the species live in different environments so no one bothers anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

my thought would be once the bigger tank is filled the smaller one would float up , unless you could maybe secure it down ,
than like nils said temp would be another factor , but once you get all that figured out it sounds like a neat idea ,when you get this together I would love to see a pict

I would be concerned about the pressure of the smaller tank on the bottom of the larger tank . aquariums are meant to hold an even pressure all along the bottom . Maybe putting another tank with a reptile and all it's needs on the center would be too much . IDK ,Just saying .

Thanks lowtech87! This is actually what gave me the idea! That looks like an awesome set up! I would plan on securing the inside tank as well but I actually hadn't though about how the pressure could impact the structural integrity of the main tank. Would you think I would need to go acrylic then?

I will post picture when it's done 54seaweed. Unfortunately this is an adventure for later as I am moving and am putting a freeze on everything until after the 1400 mile move. It kills me to be responsible and wait though!

Life happens. On the bright side, it gives you more time to research and plan this out.

The amount of pressure on both tanks won't even come close to stressing them. You would be amazed at how much 1/4 in glass can hold.

http://youtu.be/PgEwEiTyYcs

Check this out for example

Back
Top Bottom