resealing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

serialstocker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just picked up a 225 gallon tank for $100. Just needs to be resealed anyone with experience that can say what not to do been lookin on line doesn't seem to hard.

It's really easy to do. Just spend extra time masking the tape and buy a $5 squeegee tool to help you get the consistency of the silicone thickness. Using rubbing alcohol is a must if you don't want it to stick to your fingers.

Remember it stinks too do it outside if possible.

I made two big mistakes when i resealed one. First, I didn't wear gloves. Silicone burns skin. Second, I was resealing a 55g tank which is 21" tall. Kind of hard to work without sticking your head right at the top of it. I had a major headache when I got done.

Don't forget that you need to remove all the silicone from the joint you're re-sealing. It won't stick well to existing silicone. A piece of relatively hard plastic square, with one corner rounded off makes a great tool to get a consistent bead.

Crack in bottom of 69 gallon osaka tank

Today I have been asked if I was interested in buying a new 69 gallon fluval osaka tank, stand and lighting canopy for a really good price. One problem and this is the reason for the deal, there is a crack that runs from the right hand back corner for about 6 or 7 inches toward the centre and middle of the tank. Is this an easy fix or should I say no thanks? :yin: The last thing I want is a leaky tank.

Mr Ray: Say no thanks. You will have to replace that glass.

Question on sealing: If I re-seal my 55g tank, do I have to remove each glass panel and get out the silicone or can I just get off the curved portion inside the tank? I need to re-seal but I don't want to take the whole thing apart because it doesn't leak, I just want to re-seal the stuff that is in the tank... hard to explain.

No you don't have to remove the part that actually holds the glass together, just the bead on the inside that actually seals the glass. I know what you're saying.

i had a guy build me a 180 gallon tank and when i picked it up, he told me to leave it another 2 weeks before filling it....

The silicone will hold after 24 hours I believe... I would let it cure for several days though, especially on a 180 with a stand like yours! 2 weeks is a bit much, I'd let it cure for a full week after it was initially done though for sure. OTOH, if they guarantee the tank, I would do what they say to avoid any loss of warranty.

shucks i just wanna start filling it.... its gonna take my 5 straight days to fill it and i just wanna get started asap

When I had my 200 made he wouldn't let me pick it up for 10 or so days. So I would be patient and do what he says then "no sweat"...Ray

Do you not have a big tub to start filling to at least get a head start? How many GPD does your RO/DI unit do?

it does 50GPD and the total system is going to be 250 gallons.

he had it at his shop for a week after it was completed then he said to leave it for another 2 weeks

a build/post on monsterfish talked about it takes 1 day per 1/8", so 1/2 glass+3/8 bead might take a week. didnt talk about drying from both sides, as one would think it does.
its cold this time of year maybe he didnt have it stored in a warm spot and wanted to make sure it dried.
3 weeks total seems a long time. did you happen to see what kind of sealer he used? might be good info to check for sure.

Back
Top Bottom