Resealing aquarium top rim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobbyDoom

Aquarium Advice Regular
Need to reseal the top rim of my 29g, as the rim is loose.
The evaporating water is following the rim and running down the sides of my aquarium. It's super annoying, as I am cleaning the front and 2 sides everyday.
My question is: should I empty it about halfway before I take the loose rim off. I don't want the inner seals to break and I don't want to empty it completely and have to re-cycle the aquarium.
Any info would be great.

I'm going to follow along here, I'm having the same issue with my 30 gallon tank. The top rim leaks and I have salt creep all over the front glass of my tank. I have no idea how I should proceed with such a project either!

Well, I resealed it. Just put common sense in motion.
I emptied it halfway, took the run off, cleaned and dried both surfaces and put a generous bead of silicone in the groove on the rim. Voila, good as new. It's going to take about 12 hours to cure, so I haven't put my hood on or my air on. This was any evaporating water won't find its way into the edges of the rim.

Now for me to just get the guts to do it. How did you get the rim off? That is my main concern, I don't want the tank to break as I'm trying to do this, as I don't have a backup tank, money for another tank, or the ability to temporarily stick these fish in my other tank, seeing as they are aggressive saltwater fish and my other tank is a nice peaceful freshwater tank.

Back
Top Bottom