Resealing! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, you're saying that the representative for the major silicone supplier doesn't know his product? Retail? Did your sister analyze the 100% silicone?

You talked to a DAP rep, yes? I am advocating the use of GE Silicone I. Personally I think he fed you a bit of hofla that they don't have to print on the label if it has fungicide in it. By law if a product contains harmful chemicals, it must be on the label.

I clearly stated that the DAP tube I had contained all kinds of stuff, it even has a cancer warning on it. And guess what, it contains a biocide. So who doesn't print what on the label?

No my sister did not analyze the GE silicone, but she can tell me what all the horrible chemicals are or I could get off my *** and look it up myself. :facepalm:

Yes.. RETAIL. As in know the product you are selling. Maybe I should have been more specific in stating that I worked at Home Depot for a long time.

You talked to a whopping 1 person and made up your mind. Personally I would have gone out of my way and gotten as much information as possible before making an informed decision on my own. Sometimes that 1 person you spoke with just doesn't know what they're talking about. Perhaps he's new or was misinformed himself, or maybe he just hates his job and doesn't care what he says to people. I'm not saying that this is what happened, maybe the person you talked to really knows his product (DAP). So what he told you about DAP could totally be true, however I would never ask a DAP rep about GE silicone. That's just asking to be fed false information. He gets paid to sell his product, so of course he's gonna tell you anything to make his product sound better than the competition.

If you have done your due diligence and researched several products, why not add that instead of being condescending towards others for the efforts they have put forth.

I am simply giving my advice and experience to help others make an informed decision, so what's with the crap attitude?

I don't have an attitude. I just repeated information I was told by someone I think is more qualified than a home depot employee. I didn't say it was right or wrong, or that you were. You feel you know more? Wonderful.

Wow, way to look down on someone making an honest living. So you think a DAP rep is more qualified to tell you about ALL the silicone products on the market than someone who used to sell each and every one of them, as well as used them on the job. BTW i've been a paint rep, i can't say i've never misinformed someone by accident or from ignorance.

And no you didn't blatantly say I was wrong and you were right, however your comment was borderline flamatory and derogative. If you didn't mean to challenge what I had written, then wth was the comment even for.

For the rest of you reading this thread, sry it got off topic. I still say GE Silicone I in clear is aquarium safe, there are some others out there that would work as well. It's crazy to pay premium prices for a little tube of aquarium silicone when there are cheaper safe alternatives. But if you want to flush money down the can, then that's your choice.

Wow, way to look down on someone making an honest living. So you think a DAP rep is more qualified to tell you about ALL the silicone products on the market than someone who used to sell each and every one of them, as well as used them on the job. BTW i've been a paint rep, i can't say i've never misinformed someone by accident or from ignorance. And no you didn't blatantly say I was wrong and you were right, however your comment was borderline flamatory and derogative. If you didn't mean to challenge what I had written, then wth was the comment even for. For the rest of you reading this thread, sry it got off topic. I still say GE Silicone I in clear is aquarium safe, there are some others out there that would work as well. It's crazy to pay premium prices for a little tube of aquarium silicone when there are cheaper safe alternatives. But if you want to flush money down the can, then that's your choice.
Dude for real, chill out. I would go with X for anything let alone a type of silicone for a re-seal. We have all resealed, it's not that hard. Just calm down bro. It's called aquarium advice, not aquarium throw down.

Dude for real, chill out. I would go with X for anything let alone a type of silicone for a re-seal. We have all resealed, it's not that hard. Just calm down bro. It's called aquarium advice, not aquarium throw down.

For starters, not a dude or a bro lmao. And that's great that you trust Mr X for anything and that you know how to reseal a tank and think that it's not hard and everyone does or should know how to do so as well. However if you actually took the time to read the thread, you would know that the threadstarter was asking for advice on how to do exactly that. More specifically this person asked about GE Silicone I. So I gave said advice and got a sarcastic comment from Mr X. Then when I turn around and stick up for my advice, I get more crap thrown my way.

And that leads us to your comment... really... you feel the need to tell me to chill out? you're telling me we're all here for advice, not a throw down, yet you feel the need to add your two cents into the mix... is this not just adding fuel to the fire? Like I told Mr X, if he had more information on the actual topic, why not share that instead of belittling me for the advice that I gave.

To the OP, when you are taking out the old silicone, do not cut corners or try to save time. Make sure you do an A+ job in removal and clean up. I am mentioning this because new silicone will not cure to old silicone, and on top of that it creates weaknesses in the bead. Also if you want your lines to look clean and professional use painters tape to mark off lines. That way when you put the silicone down and smooth it out, you can peel of the tape for clean lines. Also wear a latex glove on the hand you use to smooth out the silicone, itll create smoother beads

I forgot to also mention that you need to do the entire tank at once, dont do half then let it cure. All at once

I took the silicone off but not some of it I couldn't get is that okay

Yeah, as long as it wasn't leaking there. Just make sure sure to put extra silicone around those parts

I got all the silicone off where the panes of glass meet i didn't where it thins out on the edge of the silicone

Also try to coat over very well any existing that you may have left (try I get it all if you can) bc it won't seal well to existing silicone. Good luck and make sure to let it dry thoroughly, and water test outside or somewhere it can get wet! Also a week or so will give you true results. Seems like overkill but it's going to be full forever so a week will give you better results IMO. I learned the hard way and put around 50+ gallons on my wife's wood floors. Not a good day. A pissed off wife in this hobby is really bad, especially when trying to set up a new tank!

Back
Top Bottom