Resealing leaking tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacob

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I picked up a cheap 29g tank (30x12x18) off Kijiji to get back into the hobby and discovered the silicone was deteriorating on the inside of the tank.

I removed the old silicone, being careful not to cut into the seams between the panes and got all the old beads removed. I moved the tank into the laundry room to give it a cleaning inside with some vinegar/water before resealing it and discovered the bottom is leaking from one of the seams. If I reseal the tank with a bead of silicone around all the inside edges should I expect this to not really correct the problem since it's the seam between the panes that's the problem?

Thanks!

Welcome to AA!

I would try resealing the tank as you suggested, then fill it somewhere where 29g of water wouldn't be an issue. The other option is to remove the bottom frame and pane, scrape off all the old silicone, and reassemble the tank.

Thanks for the welcome!

I am so paranoid that I'll reseal the tank and come home some short time in the future with a blowout.

I've seen many DIY's on resealing a tank but none of reassembling a tank that's been taken apart.

That's why I'd try resealing the tank first. If you can leave the tank outside for a couple days and it won't freeze, I'd reseal it and fill it with water for a few days. If you're generous with the silicone, I think it'll work.

Well, I just had it settled for me. I was moving the tank to the shop to prep it for resealing and one of the sides came loose. The top and bottom plastic frames are cracked through and looks like they have been for a while, but I never noticed it.

Just my luck.

You can glue the frames. A 29g doesn't have a center brace, so the frames are really just to keep the bottom off whatever stand you use and to cover the edges of the glass.

Back
Top Bottom