resealing tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
resealing tank help!!!

Well, I think I need to reseal my 100 gallon tank, It is not leaking but the silicone is really looking ragged and has algae growing under some of the edges. I think the previous owner got to close to the silicone with a razor blade. I have read the sticky on replacing the seal when you have a leak, is it the same if you just want to replease the outer edges and not the main bead of silicone that holds the glass together. I have already emptied my tank and have cleaned it out but i would like to get this done ASAP due to the fact that my fish are it a plastic box with my filter running on it. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

TIA

Same process, but you don't have to take the tank apart.

Tips:

Clean out all the old silicone - new won't stick to old. I use a skew chisel (sharpened) to do this, works way faster than razor blade & I get a much cleaner surface with just a single pass.

Use masking tape to tape out your seams, and remove when the silicone is still wet. This gives a neat line when you are done.

Try not to stick your head in the tank when resealing (esp. in such a big tank), the fumes are quite potent! You might want to use a fan or something to blow air into the tank. And work outside in a well ventilated area.

Good luck!

Thanks Jsoong, I am very nervous, I want to reseal today, I am cleaning the tank right now, I have just gotten all of the glass clean and free of any algea and am draining the tank again, then this is what I plan to do
I dry the tank then take it into the garage and place on towels then remove the old silicone and clean the glass again with rubbing alc. and let dry for a couple of hours it is almost a 100* here today then apply the new silicone and then smooth and the let sit for 48 hours???
Then refill on wednesday?

should you be able to see or feel any of the old silicone we are removing it right now but are too afraid to go to deep in the corner.

Well, I think I need to reseal my 100 gallon tank, It is not leaking but the silicone is really looking ragged and has algae growing under some of the edges. I think the previous owner got to close to the silicone with a razor blade. I have read the sticky on replacing the seal when you have a leak, is it the same if you just want to replease the outer edges and not the main bead of silicone that holds the glass together. I have already emptied my tank and have cleaned it out but i would like to get this done ASAP due to the fact that my fish are it a plastic box with my filter running on it. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

TIA
I just re-caulked my 44 gallon pentagon not because of leaks but because all of the caulking turned nicotine brown from being in my pops apartment for ten years. My advice is to you is buy a lot of single edged razor blades and a good holder (I picked up a good razor Holder at the auto supply store used for removing old windshield registration stickers). After the tank is empty and dry remove all of the caulking inside the tank (frequently changing the blade), you will be surprised how quickly they dull. Even when you think you got it all go over it again (New caulking doesn't adhere to old caulking), the use denatured alcohol and clean all of the seems at least 2 inches in on both sides, then tape off the tank leaving about 1/4 to 3/8's of an inch on each side of every seem (Use blue painters tape). Before caulking (Aquarium Safe) have a bucket filled with very warm soapy water, a roll of paper towels and a lined garbage pail. Apply caulking all the way around the inside of tank, when done use your finger to press in and smooth out of the caulking (Make sure there are no air bubbles in the caulking as this can cause a leak down the road), use a paper towel to wipe the excess caulking off of your finger and throw away it in your lined garbage pail (do not try to get an extra use out of your sheet of paper towel this will only lead to a bigger mess, throw it out.). After all of the excess has been removed you can now put your fingers you are using into the very warm soapy water then go over the caulk lines again (this make the seems really smooth). You're not done yet, now carefully remove all of the tape you applied earlier and throw it away, let caulking cure for 24 hrs then fill it out side if you can and let it sit for a couple of hours while periodically checking it to make sure it isn't leaking. If all is OK then empty the tank, clean it out (I used a combination of warm water and white vinegar then used aquarium wipes for the final pass. Good luck, everything should go fine if you take your time.
user_online.gif

thanks Keith, I finished resealing it last night and luckily I only had to do the corners, it took me about 4 hours to get all of the old silicone off and then clean it really good and then reaply the new silicone. Waiting untill Wendesday to refill is gone to be the hard part for me. Keeping my fingers crossed that my fish will all survive the whole thing.

I hope all goes well. One thought though did you also re silicone the bottom corners as well? As you know new silicone will not adhere to the old.

no we just smoothed in in like it said in the instructional post in the stickies
You should be good, myself I removed all of the interior silicone (didn't touch the joint) and installed new silicone, it gave me more peace of mind. I guess that's just me being anal. Let me know how you made out. Take care.

well, I have also just painted the back of my tank with black paint just waiting for it to dry so I can start to clean the inside of my tank.
What would you suggest that I clean it with, I have used rubbing alcohal to clean it before resealing it, I used Aquarium silicone sealent to reseal the tank. i just don't want anythig to go wrong because I did not clean it right so anyone have any suggestions?

well, I have also just painted the back of my tank with black paint just waiting for it to dry so I can start to clean the inside of my tank.
What would you suggest that I clean it with, I have used rubbing alcohal to clean it before resealing it, I used Aquarium silicone sealent to reseal the tank. i just don't want anythig to go wrong because I did not clean it right so anyone have any suggestions?
I used regular white vinegar and warm water mixed followed by aquarium wipes. Be warned however, the vinegar solution makes you cough a bit but it's all natural and does a wonderful job.

i've always just used vinegar and water and sun. yes vinegar is potent and doing it outside would be a good idea. rinse a few times and let dry in the sun.

thanks for the replies I actually use vinigar alot for cleaning around the house and in the fridge. Well hopefully by tonight i will have my tank all set back up and running.

thanks for the replies I actually use vinigar alot for cleaning around the house and in the fridge. Well hopefully by tonight i will have my tank all set back up and running.

May the force be with you. Let us know how it turned out.

Thanks yall for your support, Iwas a nervous wreck doing this but it all turned out well. I resealed the tank and spraypainted the back black and the put the eco in about 120lbs placed my plants moved my filters back over and let the water clear and then put the fish in. I worked on the tank from 9am until 5pm yesterday but it was worth it I will try to post pics latter.

Thanks again for all the help.

Thanks yall for your support, Iwas a nervous wreck doing this but it all turned out well. I resealed the tank and spraypainted the back black and the put the eco in about 120lbs placed my plants moved my filters back over and let the water clear and then put the fish in. I worked on the tank from 9am until 5pm yesterday but it was worth it I will try to post pics latter.

Thanks again for all the help.
That's great news, looking forward to the picks.:flasingsmile:

Back
Top Bottom