Resealing tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BuuGieWuuGie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys! I'm new here and joined to get some tips for repairing a tank. It's a 40 gallon corner tank. I have cleaned it all out and remove all the seals on the inside seams ( some one tried cleaning the glass with razor blades). I still have some residue to clean up.

My problem is up under the top lip there are big globs of sealant. I can't get to them. I can't remove the lip because it is glued or seal to the outside of the glass. So follows my question. Would it be ok to leave that sealant there and just run a new bead up to it?

Also the is sealant on the outside edges of the tank. Should I remove these too and reseal?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I would just remove as much as you can in the upper corners. You should be able to push a razor in there and with some needle nose pliers pull the chunks out. Be sure to go over the glass again once all of the silicone is off just to make sure it is all off. Using acetone or rubbing alcohol to wipe the tank clean then lay a new bead down.

The only time you need to disassemble the entire tank is if the seal between the glass has come apart.

Back
Top Bottom