Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to xDBOYx
Restoring a BIG bowfront tank & stand and have a few questions

hey guys been lerking around aa.com with the intentions of getting back into the hobby. so luckily last month i bought this used but new to me 155g (i think not sure) and stand and a few other goodies with it. over the coarse of the month i been restoring it at a very slow pace due to work and school. i got a really good deal on it but it needed a little attention. the previous owner had it with corals and salt water fishes and i plan to keep freshwater in it with live rocks and plants. so far ive replaced the rotted wood on the stand with new one (you will see the replaced wood in my pics below), filled in all the holes and cracks with elmers wood filler and in the process of sanding.

MY QUESTIONS:

1. when i go to paint the stand what should i use spray paint or can paint and brush or roll the paint on? if so what texture (eggshell, latex etc) or shade of black should i get it? which will give it the best look and durability? because i know water harms wood really bad so i want quality. of course i will seal and prime the wood if i have to go the can paint route.

2. when sandind should i sand the old paint completely off or just sand it enough but the old paint can still stay a bit ?

3. the tank is drilled and has a built in refugium/overflow box. since the last owner had corals the refugium/overflow has coral salt stuck onto it and i tried scrubbing it but it wont come off. im afraid to even put my frashwater fishes into the tank cause it might hurt them. can i buy a replacement and silicone the new in place of the old? if so where and whats the damage?

more questions will comes but right now before i do anythign else i just want to get the tank and stand up to like new and running condition. thank you guys for all your help and any comment will be appreciated.

here comes the pics and sorry for the long post and big pics.

stand

tank

refugium/overflow caked in coral

Old 11-29-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Old 11-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

welcome to AA Nice looking tank, cant wait to see it all set up with fish in it Looks like youre making good progress on the stand. I saw a thread a guy on here has where he used a textured spray paint to paint his stand. It was grey, but im sure they make it in different colors. As for the coraline on the overflows, vinegar and a razor blade should do it. If you soak it in vinever, then use a razor blade and scrape it backwards over the plastic, it should bring it off. btw, i love bowfronts, im just waiting on getting one for myself

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Looks pretty nice. Welcome to AA

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
welcome to AA Nice looking tank, cant wait to see it all set up with fish in it Looks like youre making good progress on the stand. I saw a thread a guy on here has where he used a textured spray paint to paint his stand. It was grey, but im sure they make it in different colors. As for the coraline on the overflows, vinegar and a razor blade should do it. If you soak it in vinever, then use a razor blade and scrape it backwards over the plastic, it should bring it off. btw, i love bowfronts, im just waiting on getting one for myself
thing is im afraid of spray paint my hands arent steady and i suck at spraying. also for the coraline the razor wont damage the overflows? i dont think ill be soaking it in vinegar cz it would require me to heat the silicone and take it off. the coraline is also inside the overflow and my hand doesnt fit inside it haha. im gonna try the vinegar and razor blade method but if that fails is there any place to buy these overflows? if i find out the brand of the tank can i get it from the manufacturer? if im going to take the overflow off to soak it in vinegar im better off buying 2 new piece. oh and good luck on your bowfront hunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
Looks pretty nice. Welcome to AA
thanks alot sir. cant wait to get her up and running
Old 11-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

well when i said soak it in vinegar, i actually meant just get it real wet with vinegar... maybe take some paper towells soaked in vinegar and lay them on it? As long as you scrap with the razor blade backwards, as in with it tilted so that the sharp side is facing the opposite way youre traveling, it shouldnt scratch it. honestly not sure on the overflows, but im sure you can get them from the manufacturer of the tank

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
well when i said soak it in vinegar, i actually meant just get it real wet with vinegar... maybe take some paper towells soaked in vinegar and lay them on it? As long as you scrap with the razor blade backwards, as in with it tilted so that the sharp side is facing the opposite way youre traveling, it shouldnt scratch it. honestly not sure on the overflows, but im sure you can get them from the manufacturer of the tank
Cool ill give it a shot when I get home and keep you posted
Old 11-30-2009, 11:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

anyone else have any suggestions for paint? anyone use like wood paint from the can that you roll on instead of spray paint?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you're set on brushing or rolling it, use an oil-based paint and you should be fine.

Personally, I'd spray paint it. It's a heck of a lot easier. Spray several light coats using short strokes and never stop moving the can while spraying. The directions on the can are usually pretty good, if you take the time to read them. Mask the areas you don't want painted and go to town on it.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

You gonna paint the whole stand right? If so, then why worry about the wandering hand? I'd also recommend a good coat or two of polyurethane on top of that for water proofing the stand - especialy the innards where water is likely to contact more.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bowfront, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com