Return Line Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eatsomepopcorn

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just set up a new marineland 120G marine tank with two acrylic overflow boxes in the tank 1 inch for all 4 drilled from the bottom holes and starphire glass on 4 sides. The durso drains are ok, but the two return pipes have an interesting design. They have a 1/16 or 1/8, cant really tell because tank is running, anti-siphon hole drilled into the return standpipe inside of the acrylic overflow box just above the waterline inside the overflow shooting straight towards the front of the overflow box so when the pump is on, most water comes out of the adjustable heads that extend to the tank itself, but some comes out of this anti-siphon hole and sprays hard against the inside wall of the overflow and shoots up onto the top of my glass when it deflects on the overflow wall at such a rapid pace. Is there something that I can do to correct this problem. I thought of putting some aquarium sealant and filling the two anti-siphon holes and drilling one underneath the returns adjustable head that actually is located in the tank, but I wanted to get some advice first. What do you thinK?
:popcorn:

Mine tank had the same holes drilled in the return lines and I noticed the same issue with the water spraying out. I sealed them up with silicone.

Are you worried that when power goes out it will drain unnecessary water from your tank without an active anti-siphon hole?:grab:

Shouldn't these holes be underwater and only come into play when the pump is off or you have a power outage and then they prevent overflows by breaking the syphon?

The drilled holes are so high up on the return line (basically at the top of the bend of the 90 degree elbow just at water level, it is always aout 1 inch above water level in the overflow box itself. If I slow down overflows I can cover it, but I hate to lose that circulation and not use full capacity of overflow system.

I can't figure out why they would have a hole so higb unless it was so you could push a piece of tubing in there to connect to a pump to suck air out of the elbow so as not to loose sysphon.

to connect to a pump to suck air out of the elbow so as not to loose sysphon
I think you may be a little confused. A return line has no siphon to be lost.

stupid stupid stupid question but you're sure it's the return line (or supposed to be) and not the air hole for a durso? Just asking cause that's where that air hole would be. If not, or if you are now using it as a return I'd agree with what was offered above..and as our fearless leader said.. Just plug the *honk* hole.

Back
Top Bottom