Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rich's DIY Sump/Refugium

Getting ready to build a DIY sump. I can get sheets of Milk White 1/2" Acrylic that at 31" x 31" for $10.00 a sheet. I have a limited foot print to work with but height is not an issue. Here are my plans. Poke all holes you can in it please. I would rather find out now then later.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

return pump section is way too small,dont forget this is the section which water levels will drop due to evaporation.do you have enough room to make the sump longer than 2' 6",I know you said the sheets were only 31" long but you could build 2 tanks butted up together and tank connectors for the water flow.

David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David S View Post
return pump section is way too small,dont forget this is the section which water levels will drop due to evaporation.do you have enough room to make the sump longer than 2' 6",I know you said the sheets were only 31" long but you could build 2 tanks butted up together and tank connectors for the water flow.
What do you mean "Don't Forget". How could I forget something I don't already know. LOL I have never done this before or even owned a sump. That is why I value your input so much. Now that you say it, I see your point. Going to have to rethink it a bit.

I thought about the two tank idea. I was thinking of an over under set up. May have to look at that again. If I were to do that, I could dedicate half of one tank to fuge and the other to return pump. The reason I nixed the idea before was I thought I wanted to stop bubble before entering the fuge. The other thing that has been mentioned on another forum is I have all the flow going through the fuge which is not a good idea.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It depends what your having in the fuge,if its just macro algae like chaeto then good flow is needed,if your putting mud or sand then a slower flow is reccommended.

Have a look at this i just drew for an idea.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry to just jump in but how do you connect the two tanks?
Old 11-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Feel free to jump in jjamontan or anyone else. That is how I have learned everything I know (grant it that isn't a lot but....).

David, I like that but would need to modify a bit. My tank sits on top of my entertainment system which is angled in the corner. Therefore, I can't put the sump under the tank but have to put it in the space behind the tank. (you would laugh if you watched me climb through the TV section to get behind the tank). To leave enough room for access, I have a foot print of about 30" x 15 to work with. The good news is, I can go vertical with not much problem. I am also trying to do it with the cheap acrylic sheets available which are 31" x 31".

Let me revise my drawing and I will post it in a bit.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, updated design based on over/under set-up. Poke all the holes you can in it. I would rather take a beating here than have to vacuum up a bunch of SW from my family room carpets.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjamontan View Post
Sorry to just jump in but how do you connect the two tanks?
I've used some 1 1/2 pipe and tank connectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99 View Post
Ok, updated design based on over/under set-up. Poke all the holes you can in it. I would rather take a beating here than have to vacuum up a bunch of SW from my family room carpets.
looks ok but if your are just using chaeto dont worry about slowing the flow down,use the full amount of flow,chaeto likes to be tumbling also the section with LR just use some egg crate at the bottom of the seperator with acrylic above to force the water through the rocks.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David S View Post
I've used some 1 1/2 pipe and tank connectors.

looks ok but if your are just using chaeto dont worry about slowing the flow down,use the full amount of flow,chaeto likes to be tumbling also the section with LR just use some egg crate at the bottom of the seperator with acrylic above to force the water through the rocks.
Again, great info. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

get us some photo's as soon as you start building

Tags
diy, diy sump, ich, refugium, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com