Rock Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warvillian

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am planning on creating my own rock stucture by using glue to attach dry rock together. What is the best product to use that is reef safe in order to attach rock together? Any advice is great thanks.

Sure, but it takes a long time. I've got a tank that's older than I am and the silicone is still in good shape. I think epoxy would last longer. Keeping either out of direct light will extend its life.

If you do not want the silicone to show (and it will!), use the minimum that you can to do the job and then cover the silicone with sand while it is still wet. Try a few small sample pieces to get a feel for how much sand you need, and then view them underwater to see the results. I know that sounds stupid, but something about being underwater makes the silicone show up much more than when it is dry. I learned this the hard way.

Thanks Glassbird, I had noticed using the clear aquarium silicone that it tend to show. I tried using the silicone sparingly and yet still had extra oozing out. The sand is a great idea although most of my rock had already dried. It may be possible to add a touch more over the already dry silicone in order to add a little sand.

Back
Top Bottom