Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-18-2003, 10:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
rubbermaid sump questions

Im going to use a rubbermaid container for the sump, im wondering how can i put baffles in the sump? Am i able to just put smaller containers in for walls and baffles or is there some other way? I cant really use acrylic since the container is going to flex, and the acrylic would just seperate. thanks.

Old 09-18-2003, 11:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey gooy, this is what I'm going to use. Its a 100qt cooler (25gal) so the sides wont bow out when I put water in it. I'm going to have to make my cabinet doors extra large so I can take that cooler in and out, if I have to.

Thought maybe this would be a good application for you.

Old 09-20-2003, 03:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Would seperate containers work as baffles for the water to flow over? I was hoping on maybe putting a refuge in the bottom so im considering the seperate containers. Thanks
Old 09-20-2003, 04:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
do not see why not but i would make sure that the walls are different heights...anyone els with an idea???
http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 07:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

hmm - that's a tuffy - the plastic that a "rubbermaid" container is made from is very "oily" stuff, and almost nothing is going to adhere to it.

the containers idea is good

how about some bricks or rocks, stacked to make a "wall" to slow the water down some.

if this is for a freshwater tank, I would advise using ceramic (adobe) bricks and/or granite stones

for a saltwater tank, bricks made from portland cement or stones of marble/limestone would also be acceptable, since you're not worried about the limestone leaching into the water.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
i used a rubbermaid 13 gallon container for my sump then i took a rubbermaid bread box as a baffle for the overflow and another smaller container for a fuge. then i also have enought room for my heaters and skimmer.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Could someone explain the baffle to me, what is and what does it do?

I was just planning on use the tub (sump) and running my lines in and lines out. Do I need something else?

www.panhandlereefers.com

Join N. Florida Regional Forum
GrndHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 02:56 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
The primary function of the baffles is to dissipate micro bubbles before they are returned to the main tank. You can try using an open tub. If you have a relatively low flow through it, you might be OK. The higher the flow, the more bubbles there will be. Sometimes a baffle is needed to provide a chamber with a constant water level for a skimmer to function properly as well.
I think the separate containers idea is the most likely to work with the rubbermaid tubs. Ever looked at an Oceanic wet/dry? They sort of work that way...using a central chamber with water spilling over all the way around onto the biomedia.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The rubbermaid containter in which im using is long enough that on my test run without any other containers in there i didnt get any bubbles and where all disipated by the time it reached the return pump. Im still planning on running my skimmer in a seperate tub for water level control. What im worried about is evaporation drawing the water outta the main rubbermaid container and water levels would be different in each seperate tub, so i have purchased some float switches for an auto-top off. Hope it works.

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com