Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-04-2012, 04:25 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

So you mean removing the bio rings on the bottom would be better? most of my plants are tied on rocks or driftwood... so I think I would be fine for now?

Old 10-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku521
So you mean removing the bio rings on the bottom would be better? most of my plants are tied on rocks or driftwood... so I think I would be fine for now?
That's up to you. My point it that plants grow well in substrates that are lightly cleaned and allowed to accumulate nutrients in it's lower portions. Serious vacuuming can also harm root systems. Undergravel filters and bio media need to be cleaned well to work well over time.

A better approach is to have the substrate work only for the plants and to have a separate filter for biological and mechanical filtration. Some people use sponge filters, HOBs or canisters. Any of those options are preferable to RFUGFs to most aquarists. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try your idea out. You may like it or you may just need to discover it's flaws out for yourself. That's what I did.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae View Post
That's up to you. My point it that plants grow well in substrates that are lightly cleaned and allowed to accumulate nutrients in it's lower portions. Serious vacuuming can also harm root systems. Undergravel filters and bio media need to be cleaned well to work well over time.

A better approach is to have the substrate work only for the plants and to have a separate filter for biological and mechanical filtration. Some people use sponge filters, HOBs or canisters. Any of those options are preferable to RFUGFs to most aquarists. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try your idea out. You may like it or you may just need to discover it's flaws out for yourself. That's what I did.
well.. my atman CF1200 canister (1000L/H flow) is hooked up to the "RFUGF" system

it is just literally I just got a series of rain bars (with the jet stream point up) hooked them up on the bottom of the tank (in zigzag formation to cover the bottom of the tank as much as possible) and buried it underneath bio rings (1 layer) and then sand (2 inch deep)

as it is "blowing up" I really dont know if the rings get dirty?
Old 10-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku521

well.. my atman CF1200 canister (1000L/H flow) is hooked up to the "RFUGF" system

it is just literally I just got a series of rain bars (with the jet stream point up) hooked them up on the bottom of the tank (in zigzag formation to cover the bottom of the tank as much as possible) and buried it underneath bio rings (1 layer) and then sand (2 inch deep)

as it is "blowing up" I really dont know if the rings get dirty?
You definitely have it setup very well. That's not the issue. Even the return tubes on canister filters get coated with bacterial films and detritus after a few months. It happens to the media inside the canister, the tubes, the substrate, the impeller, everything really. The bio rings at the bottom layer will get clogged and fouled over time, faster than you may believe. Cleaning it will be a chore and it will not stay clean for long. A reverse flow setup should extend the time that it'll stay clean but it will need a cleaning periodically to work long term. There's no way around it. The best way to find out for sure is to try it out and see how it does after six months or so.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae View Post
You definitely have it setup very well. That's not the issue. Even the return tubes on canister filters get coated with bacterial films and detritus after a few months. It happens to the media inside the canister, the tubes, the substrate, the impeller, everything really. The bio rings at the bottom layer will get clogged and fouled over time, faster than you may believe. Cleaning it will be a chore and it will not stay clean for long. A reverse flow setup should extend the time that it'll stay clean but it will need a cleaning periodically to work long term. There's no way around it. The best way to find out for sure is to try it out and see how it does after six months or so.
Lets all see in 6 month and give it a update

Tags
questions, setup, ugf

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com