Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2004, 11:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Running a fridge as a chiller?

Running a fridge as a chiller?

Ive been thinking of the summer months and the heat on the tank.

just speaking out loud here guys but i have just had a thought, how about having a air pump running in a fridge and then pumping the air from the fridge into the sump where it would cool the water. but be controller by a probe and monitor in the water?

i know it sounds stupid but if it works a tiny bit ans stops the tank water changing to much over the few hot days in the summer then brilliant

Andrew

Old 04-28-2004, 11:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had this discussion on this forum a bit ago, I'll try to relay the info I remember:

It's a very common idea. You wouldn't be able to pump the cold air into the water, it just won't do anything. What you'd have to do is get a small pump that pumped water into the fridge. A fridge is most effective when it is full of stuff, not air. So, on different shelves, (or one shelf if you removed the others, in which case you'd also use a large bucket) you'd need a bucket on each shelf full of regular water that just sits in the fridge. This water will remain chilled, and help the fridge run at optimum efficiency. The tubing would need to come into the fridge, and then be coiled into every single bucket, fitting as many coils as you can around the edge of the inside of the bucket. The tubing would need to be made of titanium for a few reasons. Reason 1, it won't corrode as easily in the saltwater. Reason 2, you need a metal (and titanium is the only one strong enough to withstand corrosion) to be effective at heat transfer. Any other tubing and it probably wouldn't be effective enough at chilling the water that passed through the fridge. Yes, titanium tubing is expensive as far as tubing goes.

For the work and inefficiency involved, you'd probably be better off saving up and getting a chiller. Though I have heard of people making chillers from their fridges. HTH!

125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 11:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

humm i might think about this some more as ive got a old frige that would work perfectly.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've had this discussion when it came to water cooling computers.

Same principle tho, all you gotta do is run the water in, get it cold, and pump it out.

I've seen people who use minifridges, They drill two holes into the side, and fasten into place an inlet and an outlet barb [ Hosing connects to it on the inside, and outside. Makes life a little easier then running tube straight through and back out the fridge. ]

Do as dan said above, put several buckets of water in the fridge, and coil as much of your tube as you can inco each bucket.

Then pump it back out into the tank.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah i will try this by putting a old 25kg salt bucket in the fridge andthen make two holes each side of the fridge which i will attach/run through some plastic flexible piping, which will then be coiled up in the bucket. I know this wont be that efficient but as long as it keeps the water from moving too much ill be happy.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, Just FYI.

To make things efficient in the thermal dynamics area, You want the hot water [ Water to be chilled ] to enter via the top of the bucket, and coil down towards the bottom of the bucket and escape through a hole in the bottom via a waterproof fitting like the barb I mentioned above.

Because heat rises, introducing most of the heat at the top will expell as much of it as possible at the top, leaving the bottom of the bucket to stay cooler, and more efficient.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

cool thanx for that, ill give it a go, and see it it works, havent spent anything if it doesnt
Old 04-30-2004, 03:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What kind of pump are you going to use for this. I'd think the slower the flow rate ... the better.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

i was thinking of one taht pump around 500l/h, but have a few lying around and ill see which works best.

and will put a pump in the bucket in the fridge just to keep the water from having warm patches.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Pomme if you go to "premiumaquatics.com" They have an awesome chiller there for $349.00 that will drop temperature30-degrees in a 75-gal. and 10-degrees in a 110-gal.. Some people are even using them on 150-gal. systems if you dont need much temperature drop. It is a 1000-BTU,1/10 HP 110 volts - 1.8 amps 31-lbs. size is 12-L x 12-W x 13.5-H in inches. 300-GPH min. flow and 600-GPH max. flow. Digital display, and titanium heat exchanger. Awesome unit check it out, "Ron of Triton"

Tags
chi, chiller

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com