Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Question Safe aquarium decorations?

I need to know what materials are safe for aquariums. I want a music genre "death metal" theme for my aquarium. I would like to know which types of metals, plastics, glue, and paint would not be harmful to fish.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHeadX343 View Post
I need to know what materials are safe for aquariums. I want a music genre "death metal" theme for my aquarium. I would like to know which types of metals, plastics, glue, and paint would not be harmful to fish.
See below for common materials you should be able for find easily.

metals - Stainless steel ... many members use it to screw DW to slate

plastics - Can't go wrong with PVC

glue - Aquarium safe silicone ... Available at LFS's.

Note - Homedepot / Ace I think sells a GE brand .. for windows, door seals ... but I'm not certain which particular GE.

paint - Not certain on those ... hopefully someone else can add.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

For the record I'm not building anything right now, I will be when I get my 300 gallon. I just want to put a guitar in there and some skulls maybe even some rounded of barbwire. PVC isn't going to be an option with this. What are some other kinds of plastic or metals? If possible it would be extremely helpful if I knew what most aquarium decor is made of. By the way would ceramic be fine?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolon View Post

glue - Aquarium safe silicone ... Available at LFS's.

Note - Homedepot / Ace I think sells a GE brand .. for windows, door seals ... but I'm not certain which particular GE.
The GE Type I silicone is safe for aquariums. Whatever you get, make sure it has NO additives like mildew resistant compounds or anything like that.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHeadX343 View Post
For the record I'm not building anything right now, I will be when I get my 300 gallon. I just want to put a guitar in there and some skulls maybe even some rounded of barbwire. PVC isn't going to be an option with this. What are some other kinds of plastic or metals? If possible it would be extremely helpful if I knew what most aquarium decor is made of. By the way would ceramic be fine?
Sounds cool!

Ceramics, Porcelains should be fine ... I've seen a bunch of those types of ornaments in LFS's.

Aluminum should also be safe, it's a stable, non reactive metal.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

What is LFS's? I googled it and can't find anything like you guys are describing
Old 09-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Local Fish Store's?
Old 09-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

i would also like to know what paints are safe ???? hummmm ????
Old 09-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolon View Post
Sounds cool!

Ceramics, Porcelains should be fine ... I've seen a bunch of those types of ornaments in LFS's.

Aluminum should also be safe, it's a stable, non reactive metal.
Not all of the glazes used for ceramics are safe. Say you're looking at bowls in a store, if the object you are looking at says it's safe for food service, then it's ok. Same principle with ceramics for tanks. What's at the LFS is probably fine, but anything bought from a regular store could be questionable. Look for a lable stating that it's safe for food and you should be safe.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:54 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Does any body know where I can find guitar miniatures made of aluminum or stainless steel, or some thick cool looking barbed wire or a skull? any of these can be ceramic or stainless steel or anything aquarium safe. I've been looking all freaking day and I found wooden miniatures but i'm not sure if the paint is safe and I don't know how to make it sink. So please help me out. I just want some brutal metal stuff in there and I can't find any So if some of you can try to surf the internet and type in better words of choice then I have used then that will be greatly appreciated.... or i'm gonna have to get the guys from tanked down here to help me

Tags
deco, decor, decorations, safe

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com