Safe aquarium decorations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MetalHeadX343

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need to know what materials are safe for aquariums. I want a music genre "death metal" theme for my aquarium. I would like to know which types of metals, plastics, glue, and paint would not be harmful to fish.

I need to know what materials are safe for aquariums. I want a music genre "death metal" theme for my aquarium. I would like to know which types of metals, plastics, glue, and paint would not be harmful to fish.

See below for common materials you should be able for find easily.

metals - Stainless steel ... many members use it to screw DW to slate

plastics - Can't go wrong with PVC

glue - Aquarium safe silicone ... Available at LFS's.

Note - Homedepot / Ace I think sells a GE brand .. for windows, door seals ... but I'm not certain which particular GE.

paint - Not certain on those ... hopefully someone else can add.

For the record I'm not building anything right now, I will be when I get my 300 gallon. I just want to put a guitar in there and some skulls maybe even some rounded of barbwire. PVC isn't going to be an option with this. What are some other kinds of plastic or metals? If possible it would be extremely helpful if I knew what most aquarium decor is made of. By the way would ceramic be fine?

glue - Aquarium safe silicone ... Available at LFS's.

Note - Homedepot / Ace I think sells a GE brand .. for windows, door seals ... but I'm not certain which particular GE.

The GE Type I silicone is safe for aquariums. Whatever you get, make sure it has NO additives like mildew resistant compounds or anything like that.

For the record I'm not building anything right now, I will be when I get my 300 gallon. I just want to put a guitar in there and some skulls maybe even some rounded of barbwire. PVC isn't going to be an option with this. What are some other kinds of plastic or metals? If possible it would be extremely helpful if I knew what most aquarium decor is made of. By the way would ceramic be fine?

Sounds cool!

Ceramics, Porcelains should be fine ... I've seen a bunch of those types of ornaments in LFS's.

Aluminum should also be safe, it's a stable, non reactive metal.

Sounds cool!

Ceramics, Porcelains should be fine ... I've seen a bunch of those types of ornaments in LFS's.

Aluminum should also be safe, it's a stable, non reactive metal.

Not all of the glazes used for ceramics are safe. Say you're looking at bowls in a store, if the object you are looking at says it's safe for food service, then it's ok. Same principle with ceramics for tanks. What's at the LFS is probably fine, but anything bought from a regular store could be questionable. Look for a lable stating that it's safe for food and you should be safe.

Does any body know where I can find guitar miniatures made of aluminum or stainless steel, or some thick cool looking barbed wire or a skull? any of these can be ceramic or stainless steel or anything aquarium safe. I've been looking all freaking day and I found wooden miniatures but i'm not sure if the paint is safe and I don't know how to make it sink. So please help me out. I just want some brutal metal stuff in there and I can't find any :( So if some of you can try to surf the internet and type in better words of choice then I have used then that will be greatly appreciated.... or i'm gonna have to get the guys from tanked down here to help me

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. My other half stopped me from sinking a guitar in my tank. I will keep an eye out for anything u can use

Does any body know where I can find guitar miniatures made of aluminum or stainless steel, or some thick cool looking barbed wire or a skull? any of these can be ceramic or stainless steel or anything aquarium safe. I've been looking all freaking day and I found wooden miniatures but i'm not sure if the paint is safe and I don't know how to make it sink. So please help me out. I just want some brutal metal stuff in there and I can't find any :( So if some of you can try to surf the internet and type in better words of choice then I have used then that will be greatly appreciated.... or i'm gonna have to get the guys from tanked down here to help me

I found some small stainless steel skulls and guitars on eBay (search stainless steel skull guitar) but they are rings and/or pendants. Depending on the size you want, that could be an option if you are willing to cut off the parts you dont want. You can also look at places like Hot Topic, Spencers and other stores that sell punk or goth stuff like that, usually located in malls. Another place if you want to go there would be like voodoo or occult stores. They sell all sorts of things that may fit your description.

The barbed wire stuff I found, you wouldnt want in your tank. Almost all of it was real and would rust quickly. Here is an option of halloween decorations that look like rusty barbed wire: 18 FEET FAKE RUSTY BARBED WIRE HALLOWEEN PROP~DECORATIONS~BARB WIRE~BARBWIRE | eBay
There may be other types available.

Good Luck!

I want a semi-big kinda skull like 3-6" tall. I know i'm asking alot from everybody here and I appreciate the slightest effort. The reason why i'm trying so hard is because i'm about to blow $2500 on an aquarium and it's taking awhile with a minimum wage job, a baby, and my brand new car. I only get paid $250-$285 and I put $200 a week into my savings for the car and the aquarium and it's going to take a few more months. So i'm trying really hard to make it perfect. If you guys have ANY other cool idea's for a theme that will be easier to find then please tell me, or if you know of any other brutal or metal things to put in there.... oh yea and for the record I freaking hate hot topic.... I know it probably sounds like i'd like it but that's a goth/emo store and i'm am neither. Thank's for every ones help I really really appreciate it.

paint...Krylon Fusion. Make sure the item is clean and dry...use multiple LIGHT coats, and let it all dry for at LEAST a week.

Aww you copied my name .... LOL .... Jk ... But is kinda funny there so close
lol that's awesome. I've been using this name for about 5 years now. Not on this website but xbox live and other websites. By the way I got a really great idea that i'm not sure is possible. I want a one way glass cave for fish to hide in. The only problem that if I did have a one way glass cave is that I wouldn't be able to see the fish but it would see me. Does any one know if they make such a thing? I really would love to have something like that just because a lot of the fish I like like to hide. Any suggestions?

MetalHeadX343 said:
lol that's awesome. I've been using this name for about 5 years now. Not on this website but xbox live and other websites. By the way I got a really great idea that i'm not sure is possible. I want a one way glass cave for fish to hide in. The only problem that if I did have a one way glass cave is that I wouldn't be able to see the fish but it would see me. Does any one know if they make such a thing? I really would love to have something like that just because a lot of the fish I like like to hide. Any suggestions?

LOL. I have used just metalheadx for awhile too on other forums ...lol .... Anyways not sure exactly what ya mean with the oneway glass cave but you could try to find a cool shaped bowl / vase , that has dark / tint like glass .

For a glass cave use a clear drinking glass, and place it near the glass wall of the tank so you can see in, cover the rest in gravel.

Back
Top Bottom