safe silicon safe??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

podman1973

Aquarium Advice Activist
im shure this question has been thrown about alot but im having trouble finding safe silicone to make my sump. The kind i bought is GE silicon II, 100% silicone preium waterproof caulk (window, door attic, basement/ trim) it is mold/mildew resistante, doesnt say safe for food surfaces or not safe for aqu. so im confused......dont want to kill everything in my tank please help

You don't want to use any product that has mold inhibitors. Find a 100% silicon, which can be sought after online (easier than store tracking imo).

that makes sense what i have is 100% silicon but !!! it does have a bio-seal that is mold/mildew rest ??? so in youre opnion dont use it

Do not use it. The mold inhibitors (bio-seal) have adverse reactions to water chemistry and quite possibly affecting the long-term health of the livestock you keep.

i had a feeling about that stuff ......seems like putting together a sump has been one big pain in the butt finding all the materials i need..thanks for advice may of just saved my fish 8)

I believe it's GE Silicone I that is just silicon, no additives. It's a little more difficult to find than type II, but it is usually available at hardware stores.

Or, you could always just go to an LFS and get aquarium sealant, which is the same stuff, but you'll pay $7 a tube for it.

I believe it's GE Silicone I that is just silicon, no additives. It's a little more difficult to find than type II, but it is usually available at hardware stores.

Or, you could always just go to an LFS and get aquarium sealant, which is the same stuff, but you'll pay $7 a tube for it.

I checked GE's site & it seems they are now putting the mildewcide into GE type I as well. The one I use is a house brand (Rona or Canadian Tire - only in Canada .... I am afraid) that is marked safe for aquarium (and only $3 for the big tube).

I have used both the Rona and CTC, and if you compare them the wording is pretty much identical, and the CTC one looks remarkably like GE Silicone I. I believe the Mastercraft has been discontinued, which is too bad as it usd to come in a whole variety of colours.

well i just bit the bullet and bought some from LFS and paid (><)......well alot but i know its safe and now i have all the parts for my 20gal refug. for my 72gal bow front tank hopefully it will be an improvement form the hang on back bio wheel filters thanks for all the advice guys wish me luck 8)

Back
Top Bottom