Safe silicone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just realized while siliconing my refugium and cementing the overflow that I both built... is the stuff I am using safe for aquarium? My dad thinks so.. but just to make sure I thought I'd ask. The silicone I am using is grey colored and from Home Depot. I can't imagine silicone not being safe once dry.. but I am praying that is true...

oh mama, stop right there, DO NOT USE ANYMORE OF THAT STUFF!!!! let me just tell you what happened to me about 2 weeks ago. i was building my sump and used some silicon stuff from home depot that wasn't 100% silicon. i let it dry for a week so there was no chance it wasn't fully dry yet when i put it in. about 2 days after getting it up and running all the silicon was wet again and peeling off. i moved one of my dividers a little bit and a million little pieces of silicon got to the pump and shot up into my tank causing the deaths of my yellow tang and cleaner shrimp...they tried to eat it. it could be possible that your stuff is safe, but i got the 100% silicone made for aquariums at home depot too (didn't see it the first time) and you can be sure that is safe. i think there are very few things besides 100% silicone that can withstand being completly submerged in water 24/7. anyways, bottom line is i wouldn't use what you are using, i would make sure to get the 100% silicone. hth

okay I just rechecked the damage so far.. and its not as bad as I thought... basically my real problem is that I have one half wall in my fuge that is siliconed on that side (I ran out of the aquarium kind). I also siliconed the borders to the top of the aquarium (prior leaking) but since the water level won't be that high anyway, I figure I am safe. Argh its going to be such a pain to get that one half wall off and then redone! :roll:

okay my dad says he pays like 60 bucks per tube of this grey silicone stuff, and that they use it for Apache windows on helicopters... instead of the 6 buck silicone tubes... just got me wondering :?:

As long as it doesn't have any mildew inhibitors or other additives in it, it may be OK. The best bet is to always use the 100% pure clear silicone. Never use the stuff for bathrooms as it has harmful additives in it. I would be very suspicious of the gray stuff until I could confirm exactly what is in it. Possibly the manufacturer has a website with product info or at least contact info?

whats the action for when you use the wrong silicone? i siphoned all the crap off the bottom and did a 25% water change, thought that might get rid of the harmful additives. would you recommend more water changes?

check all the labeling

it might not say anything about aquariums but it should have a food service rating on it.

if it says FDA approved for use in food service then it will not contain any chemicals that might contaminate food. If you don't see anything about food service, or see something like "not recommended for food service applications" then it's no good for use in an aquarium

There are also silicon/latex combos out there and they would not hold up to water at all.

Back
Top Bottom