Saltwater Drop-off Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyUser

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have been watching Tanked, the show that comes on Animal Planet, and they have really inspired me to make my own aquarium. So as you may have guessed by the title, I want to build my self a drop-off aquarium. There are many pictures online of these amazing tanks, and with the help of my friends off line, and on line (you guys), I really think this will work. It going to be max 4 foot long. i was thinking of 4' long, 2' wide, 1' tall on the shallow, and 2' tall on the drop area. The drop area would start at the 2' mark. So its about a 90 gallon.

This tank will probably start building in a couple months, you see, I just finished my first semester exams and I'm going to get a job now to pay for all this. Just to much excitement to keep it in, had to share. :ROFLMAO: I also want it to be viewable from both sides of the aquarium.

Some pics of the idea :

img_3143201_0_aa6b0fdedb382ef4a53acda4f5da6a40.jpg

Looks soooo sick
281.jpg

My dad and I have kept many fresh water fish in the past, but this will be my second salt water aquarium. It is going to be made of acrylic and I will post some pics of plans as I make them. :p It is going to be a 90 gallon and I'm hoping for it to be able to be seen from both sides of the aquarium where the shallow wall section is where the overflow will be.

Problem #1. How would I get proper flow on an aquarium of this shape?
Problem #2. Do I need to have a filter intake at the bottom of the drop to keep that clean?
Problem #3. I'll come :p

To much excitement as you may
Thanks in advance,
Fishy.

So I have been watching Tanked, the show that comes on Animal Planet, and they have really inspired me to make my own aquarium. So as you may have guessed by the title, I want to build my self a drop-off aquarium. There are many pictures online of these amazing tanks, and with the help of my friends off line, and on line (you guys), I really think this will work. It going to be max 4 foot long. i was thinking of 4' long, 2' wide, 1' tall on the shallow, and 2' tall on the drop area. The drop area would start at the 2' mark. So its about a 90 gallon.

This tank will probably start building in a couple months, you see, I just finished my first semester exams and I'm going to get a job now to pay for all this. Just to much excitement to keep it in, had to share. :ROFLMAO: I also want it to be viewable from both sides of the aquarium.

Some pics of the idea :

img_3143931_0_aa6b0fdedb382ef4a53acda4f5da6a40.jpg

Looks soooo sick
281.jpg

My dad and I have kept many fresh water fish in the past, but this will be my second salt water aquarium. It is going to be made of acrylic and I will post some pics of plans as I make them. :p It is going to be a 90 gallon and I'm hoping for it to be able to be seen from both sides of the aquarium where the shallow wall section is where the overflow will be.

Problem #1. How would I get proper flow on an aquarium of this shape?
Problem #2. Do I need to have a filter intake at the bottom of the drop to keep that clean?
Problem #3. I'll come :p

To much excitement as you may
Thanks in advance,
Fishy.

Wow... Fantastic looking tank.

#1. I'd try a Maxspect Gyre (or two), that new gyre generator which pushes walls of water rather than the cones you get from powerheads.
I think you could get an arrangement going with them which would allow you to get proper flow right to the bottom of the lower section.

#2. I don't know about the second overflow but you could fit a drain on the bottom for some extra detritus removal.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom