Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i agree, black sand looks best against colorful fish, its more expensive than white or regular colored sand though, but regardless of color, sand is much easier to clean than gravel because everything stays on top of it rather than settling in the cracks.

Wash the sand very well. Use a bucket and run water through sand. Stiring sand till water runs clear.

if you have a python water changer it works great, i put a bag of sand in a 5 gallon bucket and stirred the sand up with the water coming out of the python it worked pretty well, im guessing a garden hose would do the same thing. but make sure that the water is actually clear otherwise it will get cloudy in your tank.

and to switch while there are fish do one half of the tank at a time with a divider of some sort. a shop vac works great for getting the gravel out of the tank

I recently played pool filter sand in my tank. And I really wish I would have gone with the black sandblasting sand :-( the pfs is to light in color for my taste and all the fish poop stands out to much

I started with that too, after seeing all the poo also I added black sand on top of the white sand. I have a 55 so it took 3 5lb bags of Petco sand and it looks a ton better. This was almost done.

Back
Top Bottom