scottayy's cheap DIY sump thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Updated with picture. I really hope this fits lol, if not all of this will be for nothing!

Wow I'm stupid for not seeing that picture (or not remembering). Anyways, do you need a clamp for it if it just hangs there? I don;t see a huge need for it... unless I'm being stupid again and it's for something else. Then please, yell at me by all means. :blink:

edit: Oh and how'd the tubes turn out? Did you end up getting a clear one before we were able to bring up the black tubes topic?

I need the clamp as a way to hang it on the back of the tank. Since it's pre-made I don't have anything to hang on the rim of the tank. Unless I'm not getting what you mean?

Nope, still have the red tube.. didn't feel like going out today.

Thanks for the interest!

What I meant is how it goes onto the tank. If you look at the pic, you can see the grey go across the top of tank wall. I was wondering if you overflow has something like that. If it did, then there wouldn't be a need for clamps.

Ah, no it didn't.

Well, it doesn't fit. I scooted the tank out and tried putting it in from the back as well.. no go. I took the compartments apart and tried putting them in separately.. still no go. I need about an inch on length and width.

:(

So, sadly, this project is done. Bummer because I was doing so awesomely. :p I'm not going to rebuild on a smaller scale. Too much time and energy! I'll just buy one. Money wasn't the issue for this, I just thought it would be fun to do and see how cheap I could do it.

I learned lots of things though. How each part of a sump works, what it does, sump benefits, and even how to make one. I even learned that I am insanely strong, scooting a 55g full tank with 90 lbs rock and 60 lbs sand. Not a complete waste.

Sorry to those of you following along and thanks to those of you that helped.

does the side of the containers still have area that you can cut off? If its going to be right against your wall, I wouldnt be to start of loosing some of the extra plastic on the side. (the part that the lid attaches to, not the actual side)

Yeah I cut all of those off when I found out it wouldn't fit. It was almost a tight squeeze but it just plain doesn't fit.

Leave it to me to leave out the most basic requirement for building something. It has to fit!

Just curious, why is the middle sump container a different direction from the other two? I think if you rotate it, it would it

I'm so disappointed :(

@Henry, there is a board in the middle of my stand. The containers were going to hang out the back 4-5 inches and I was fine with that. I rotated the middle one so it would fit inside the board.

The back of my tank is like this |_|_| on the inside.. so I tried to make a u-shape to go around that board.

Don't most people paint their tube black anyways to avoid algae?

I was thinking the same exact thing as soon as I read the clear tube comment. I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen somebody say to not use a clear hose. Clear hoses allow light through, which then lets algea grow. I've seen some pretty nasty tubes... :nono:

The main problem found with any syphon type overflow box is the U pipe loosing its syphon,this is due to the air bubble build up,the reason a lot of people are moaning about them is because they cant see any bubbles because they've painted them,You need to see through them.I've had mine for well over a year and have no algae whatso ever,again this problem occurs from a bad setup of flow through it and direct sunlight,a piece of dark plastic over it would suffice if you realy wanted to keep any sunlight out and you can easily check it.

The main problem found with any syphon type overflow box is the U pipe loosing its syphon,this is due to the air bubble build up,the reason a lot of people are moaning about them is because they cant see any bubbles because they've painted them,You need to see through them.I've had mine for well over a year and have no algae whatso ever,again this problem occurs from a bad setup of flow through it and direct sunlight,a piece of dark plastic over it would suffice if you realy wanted to keep any sunlight out and you can easily check it.

The U-tube would be fine clear (i would believe). The tubes we are talking about is to and from the sump. Considering most people have some sort of light for a refugium or for visibility under the stand, algea would grow if it was clear.

The U-tube would be fine clear (i would believe). The tubes we are talking about is to and from the sump. Considering most people have some sort of light for a refugium or for visibility under the stand, algea would grow if it was clear.
just use the green ehiem tubing.

@siberian 2 1" pipes would give you 1920gph... if he wants 660 2 1/2" holes give you 840 which is still over that.

Back
Top Bottom