Screws?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

connorilles14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would 2 inch deck screws be suitable for making my tank stand frame? Or sound I bump up to 3 or 4 inch? I'm making the stand for a 32 g out of 2x4's

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

2.5 would be better, 1 " of buried thread...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

2.5 would be a safe bet. You could even go with 3's for a bit more assurance. You wouldn't want the tank to fall because of short screws imo

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

3's may poke through the unside, no sharp points around air hoses/co2/water lines..

I have to double check when I take the dogs out later, but I think I used 2-5/8" for my 2 stands. Also, I opted for self tapping drywall screw as opposed to deck screws. They're a little smaller in diameter and tend not to split the 2x4's.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Would pre-drilling smaller diameter holes help prevent splitting or is that over kill?

Would pre-drilling smaller diameter holes help prevent splitting or is that over kill?

I've never tried it but did think about it. It could be worth the attempt however I bought the monster size box at HD and just went with my gut. (And the few beers I packed away while constructing, lol.)

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Drywall screws aren't designed to take the stress of holding structural framing together. I glue and screw all joints myself. Get an exterior rated glue that can withstand a little moisture!

I ended up going with 3 inch construction screws. I glued and screwed all joints and I made pilot holes before drilling in my screws. No splitting and everything seams to hold nicely

no need to pre drill , just rub the screw treads on a bar of soap makes them go in nice and easy no splitting , 2.5 deck screws are the perfect length not to long not to short

this is the stand I built for my 90g

img_3093970_0_1e8a23e67ffaae8cc5e85cf48ecfe5e6.jpg

I also covered it with tongue and groove flooring makes it look like furniture

img_3093970_1_96ebccffda04c43776837d94a2204c62.jpg

Predriling is actually prefered, may not split the wood immediately, ad the wood cures or dries it can shrink around screws resulting in splits. Hardwood is a must. Oil or soap def. Helps the screws go in easier though!

Back
Top Bottom