sealant for water drips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

General question: Is there something I can use on PVC fittings to help with drip leaks? I have a hose barb on the inlet of my skimmer and it drips a bit. I used teflon tape on the thread and have tightened with a wrench. I hate to tighten too much and crack the housing on the skimmer. Is there something better than teflon tape?

I also have a drip on top of my trickle filter at a 45 slip PVC joint. I used pvc cement on this one and it still drips. I am not sure if the two pieces fit perfectly here. I did not find much at Home depot so I tried to make what I had work. I guess I might have to redo this one totally...

for a leaking threaded joint, take it apart, clean the threads thoroughly with a toothbrush (don't forget the female threads inside). remove all traces of old teflon tape.

reapply a generous widing of teflon tape, at least 4 wraps.

re tighten the joint to finger tight and then give it a go with a light touch on a wrench

for a leaking welded pvc joint you probably need to take it apart and try to drizzle the glue down into the joint and hope that holds, otherwise you'll need to replace it.

Oh yeah, and never put pvc cement on an active flowing leak. Always shut down that part of the system first, then dry it. I have cleaned threads and then put pvc cement on them instead of teflon tape. You just have to screw the fitting in REAL QUICK or it will stick. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom