Sealant question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KreativJustin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought 100% Silicone Rubber Sealant - Made by Dap - from WalMart. I wanted to buy the GE1 from Lowes, but both Lowes and Home Depot were closed. Anyways, it didn't list it as having Mildew Resistant additives, and neither does the WalMart website.

This is for a sump by the way :)

Total View of WalMart sealants, it lists others as being Mildew Resistant, but doesn't show it on the dot list. (Mine was the Dap 08641)
dap silicone rubber sealant - Walmart.com
(Mine: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dap-08641-Clear-Silicone-Sealant/21284606\)

Searching more on google, an Amazon sale listed it as Mildew Resistant.

From Amazon:
Product Description

From the Manufacturer

Superior quality tub and tile sealant. Offers long-lasting flexibility and excellent adhesion. Provides a watertight seal around non-porous surfaces, such as ceramic tile and plumbing fixtures. Safe for incidental food contact. Cured sealant is mildew resistant.

Product Description

Dap 08641 10.1 fl oz; clear 100% silicone [PRICE is per TUBE]
One of the reviews however says he has used it many times...

The Review:

You're right that sealants with anti-mildew agents added are not aquarium-safe...but this silicone does not have anti-mildew agents added. I've used it extensively in my reef aquarium (i.e. an entire tube this size) with no adverse affects on anything. Yes, the advertising blurb is a bit misleading - they're probably referencing silicone's natural anti-mildew resistance. But the "100% silicone" is the giveaway that this is just silicone. DAP makes a different silicone product called Plus or something that DOES have anti-mildew agents in it.
Ok, so my question(s):

1) Have you ever used it with good results?

2) If you haven't used it, do you think it will be safe for me to use it?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Glad you found the other, but so long as it doesn't contain anti mildew agents and is 100% silicon, it is safe to use for sumps, etc.

hi i just made my aquarium and used the silicon from ace hardware. it is ACE brand and it says 100% silicon but also says mildew resistant. since i have already made my tank with it i am a bit worried . I will put water in the tank in a few days to test for leaks. will this sealants mildew resistance be a problem for the aquarium.

hi i just made my aquarium and used the silicon from ace hardware. it is ACE brand and it says 100% silicon but also says mildew resistant. since i have already made my tank with it i am a bit worried . I will put water in the tank in a few days to test for leaks. will this sealants mildew resistance be a problem for the aquarium.

It will kill your fish

I wouldn't say it WILL kill them, but it is not the most oft recommended sealant to use. I have never actually seen anyone with evidence that using that type of sealant actually killed their fish. But it is logical that it wouldn't be safe.

I wouldn't say it WILL kill them, but it is not the most oft recommended sealant to use. I have never actually seen anyone with evidence that using that type of sealant actually killed their fish. But it is logical that it wouldn't be safe.

I was on the eastcoastcichlids website and a member uses the wrong one with mildew resistance as he put his background and killed all his fish. Obviously that's a ton of fish, but it will hurt his fish. It's be poisoning them.

Back
Top Bottom