Sealent from dow corning is it safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really don't know for certain, but I personally would not use it based solely on the skin irritation cited in the MSDS sheet. I figure if it's likely to irritate human skin than anything leached into the water going over a fish's gills will almost definitely do harm. Like I said though, I really don't know so....

Bump! :)

Lol thanks for your 2 cents tho :) i am not using it till someone who has used it or knows more about it says its safe so for now nope nope lol :) and what does bump mean lol sorry

Lol thanks for your 2 cents tho :) i am not using it till someone who has used it or knows more about it says its safe so for now nope nope lol :) and what does bump mean lol sorry

I don't blame you a bit for not using it. That's the smart move IMO.

No problem... BUMP = Bring Up My Post.

It really should be BUYP, but that just looks silly. ;)

I know GE Silicone 1 is aquarium safe after it is cured.

You can buy aquarium sealant at a LFS. Maybe even online to get it cheaper. Home Depot or Lowes might carry it I am not for sure. For PVC I used Oatley... I think that is what its called and it says that it will irritate lots of things. Skin, respiratory, and eyes. It however is aquarium safe.

never mind no sealent needed anyways wat i had to do was for my fuge i needed to make a line from my fuge to my sump well my fuge is a acrlic or plastic five gallon i think its plastic never been around acrylic enough to tell diffence i just to a pipe and my soildering gun made a small hot holein the tank and ramed the pipe in and now its sealed lol it melted back around the pipe like i planned

alright well wat about these 2 kinda similar Polyseamseal | Tub & Tile Adhesive Caulk - A Kitchen and Bath Adhesive and Caulk in One and MAPEI at Lowe's: Keracaulk U White 10oz this is the same stuff the last one of wat i have in front of me but mine is in caulk form not liquid

I know you don't need to use it any more, but for others looking ...

NO, do not use any silicone for kitchen/bath or tile/tub. Those contain mildewcide & not aquarium safe. Also, do not use anything but clear, <So white is out!>

You want 100% pure clear silicone (with nothing else added), normally this is marked for "Windows & Doors". GE Silicone I used to be good, but I read that there is a reformulation & it may also contain mildewcide.

I normally use a Hardware store store brand (Rona -- only in Canada) 100% silicone. It is marked also "for aquariums use".

Back
Top Bottom