Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2003, 10:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to troutman11111
self made hood

i didn't now what else to do with my light it made the living room to bright.2x250mh x 2x65wpc actnic. so i cut 2 pieces of cardboard, painted the inside gloss white and the outside gloss black. put one in front and one in the back. what a differance, the sides are not coverd but it does not affect anyone. cheap and it works.

Old 12-02-2003, 10:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

sweet work man...

are you planing on building a wood 'wrap around' ... maybe some luan with 1x2's inside for ribbing?

Old 12-02-2003, 10:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

it would be nice, but i'm no carpenter. if the cardboard warps to bad i'll cut two more pieces. so far no problem going on 3 months.
75gal oceanic with 20 gal refugium, 750g.p.h.pump for HSA-250 skimmer, EHEIM-1250 PUMP FOR 200gph mincal. calcium reactor with 20lb co2 tank and co2 regulator with solenoid, 800G.P.H. overflow box pump and filter, aquaclearl 500 power filter for circulation and carbon use only,wave maker 900, 3x300g.p.h., pinpoint ph controller, delta star 1/3hp chiller.with 600g.p.h. pump, spectrapure automatic liquid level controller for the addition of ro.di.top off water, kent marine 4 stage delux maxxima 35g.p.d. hi-s, t.d.s. monitor, flush kit, 170lbs live rock, 5in sand bed, acropora's LG green,pink, and med purple, LG montipora encrusting purple, LG porities coral yellow, LG ruffled ridge coral, LG starburst coral green, green hairy mushrooms 100+, blue mushrooms, red mush, fluorescent green mush,green striped mush, bubble coral, LG finger leather and 2in baby, green ricordia mush, in refugium halimeda plant, caulerpa, and lot's of bug's. 1 purple tang, male and female percular clown's, 1 yellow wrasse
troutman11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 01:06 AM   #4
cj10488

I would be cautious about using Cardboard.. I dont know about your MH bulbs but mine get extremely Hot.. I left a thermometer on top of my canopy on accident and it read 125f in a pretty short time.. My canopy is made of 3/4 Marine Grade plywood..

HTH,
James
Old 12-03-2003, 08:58 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, the good thing about cardboard is there isn't much to burn - if it caught fire, it'd likely fall apart and into the tank rather quickly 8O

on the other hand - how about fumes from your spray paint? getting cooking by the MH, must have an unpleasent smell for the 1st few days?
Old 12-03-2003, 09:16 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I think this is a bad idea. If one of your fans fails on your MH fixture, there is a severe chance of fire. I think something a little more flame retardant would be a wise investment.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:39 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I agree. The cardboard scares me. I would go to Home Depot/Lowes and pick up 1/4" particle board. They can even cut it for you if you give them the dimensions. It's light enough to support itself the way your cardboard does, but it's also dense enouch to not worry me about fire as much as cardboard does.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:37 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

sorry, i did not reply 2months sonner. the paint did not smell at all,and my fans did not come on because of the timer losing time, yes the top of the light did get hot, but since the 2 peices of cardboard are only leaning on the back and front and nothing on the sides they did not get hot only warm. i like the particle board idea to replace my cardboard. this was only a temp hood, till i got more info. but man does time fly. 8)
75gal oceanic with 20 gal refugium, 750g.p.h.pump for HSA-250 skimmer, EHEIM-1250 PUMP FOR 200gph mincal. calcium reactor with 20lb co2 tank and co2 regulator with solenoid, 800G.P.H. overflow box pump and filter, aquaclearl 500 power filter for circulation and carbon use only,wave maker 900, 3x300g.p.h., pinpoint ph controller, delta star 1/3hp chiller.with 600g.p.h. pump, spectrapure automatic liquid level controller for the addition of ro.di.top off water, kent marine 4 stage delux maxxima 35g.p.d. hi-s, t.d.s. monitor, flush kit, 170lbs live rock, 5in sand bed, acropora's LG green,pink, and med purple, LG montipora encrusting purple, LG porities coral yellow, LG ruffled ridge coral, LG starburst coral green, green hairy mushrooms 100+, blue mushrooms, red mush, fluorescent green mush,green striped mush, bubble coral, LG finger leather and 2in baby, green ricordia mush, in refugium halimeda plant, caulerpa, and lot's of bug's. 1 purple tang, male and female percular clown's, 1 yellow wrasse
troutman11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 11:10 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Thaiboxer
I'm making plans for a wood hood right now... I'll post when I get them. I'd be very anxious if I had a cardboard top!
Old 02-06-2004, 11:44 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to NASCAR_Dave Send a message via Yahoo to NASCAR_Dave
I just built a canopy...well, am building a canopy. I usually draw all my woodworking projects up in Visio but this time I kinda winged it. I will see if I can draw up the plans this weekend and psot them, along with pictures of the canopy.

Tags
hood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com