Setting up my 115 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cronus

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone got any ideas on another way of getting the tannins out of new pieces of driftwood other than soaking them? When I was setting up my 75 gallon, I soaked the pieces of driftwood for a month before putting it in the tank and still was staining the water and giving it the brown tint for almost another month later...

Anyway here are some pics of the stand I'm building. In two frames of mind whether or not to build a canopy as well, total height already is just under 5 ft.

image-4213239170.jpg image-1364212327.jpg image-2097057562.jpg image-1772037927.jpg

If you can do it, boiling the driftwood works well. I boiled mine for several hours and got all of the tannins out.

If you can do it, boiling the driftwood works well. I boiled mine for several hours and got all of the tannins out.

Thanks for the tip :)

Will have to see if I can borrow a pot big enough to boil up a few pieces that are 18" long....

Find something big enough to hold them and pour boiling water on them
I definitely have something big enough to hold the pieces in.. How long will it still need soak in the boiled water?

Thanks for the tips peeps :) either way still gonna be getter than letting it soak for over a month lol

image-2840053279.jpg

image-326501983.jpg

Stand completed ready to put it all together ?

image-1515034202.jpg

image-3642191523.jpg

image-2167604878.jpg

Decided to build a canopy it just seemed really bare without it lol. Water test done , all plumbing running without leaks and happy with the lighting. Now time to decorate and the cycling process starts ?

Back
Top Bottom