Shimming a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pat8you

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i made my own stand and i did everything i could to keep the thing flat on top but there is still between 1/16-1/8 in. gap under once corner of the tank. I have heard of using playing cards to help shim the tank. Anyone tried this or have a better way of doing it? It is a pretty small gap that i'm sure would flatten out once i put water in it but i don't want to take any chances in putting pressure on that bottom glass.

Metal or wood? Its hard to offer ideas without a description or picture. If wood, maybe you could use a wood filler like Plastic Wood to build up the low area. If it’s a metal stand, maybe epoxy or JB Weld. Goop some on, cover with wax paper and smooth it level with a putty knife or set the tank on it to level it. When hardened, remove wax paper and sand it to match the contour of the metal. All just general guesses without seeing what you have.

I have no experience shimmying a tank but I have bad stories about it as they say it compromises the integrity of the tank. Maybe someone with experience can help.

Nickt: I'll have some pictures up of the tank and stand hopefully later today so everyone can get a better idea of what i am talking about.

Melosu58: i've heard if you don't eliminate gaps underneath the tank that when the water is put in it bends the bottom glass and can crack it. I may have to make a call to AGA and ask them.

depends. the stand may flex enough to support it. If you shim just the corner you are making a pressure point. what about running a sander around it, or using foam?

I called aqueon today and they said to shim it using playing cards or foam. I think i will use playing card so that i can shim the whole gap and not just the corner to eliminate the pressure point problem you are talking about cabezon. I will just gradually reduce the number of cards i use until i get to the end of the gap.

I thought about trying to take a sander to it before i finsihed painting it but it is very difficult to adjust it by hand and i was worried i would cause more problems then i solved. I would have had to use a strait edge and then constantly recheck it as i sanded. Would have taken hours and it would have been way to easy to screw up and make low spots in the top.

Thanks for everyones input : )

Back
Top Bottom