shop lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPKeenan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I found me a cheap deal on them ($10) without bulbs. Which is what I want cause I would replace the bulbs with grow lights and/or aquarium lights.

What sort of height should I put them above the tanks? I was thinking of just making a wooden frame from 2x4s and going artsy fartsy and glueing driftwood to the planks to make it less of an eye sore.

Hang it by a chain then you can adjust the height. What type of bulbs does it take T5, T8 or T12?

or do like mgamer and get some fishing line and hang it... that way there is no visible chain... either way would rule out having to fabricate a box to hold it

I had mine so the bulbs are 3" above the water. I think anywhere from 3-6" is good. Too high & you get a bit of scatter & lose some light. If you were to hang the lights from the ceiling, then an adjustable chain would be ideal. However, I think that a canopy would look good, esp. if you can decorate/build it so it looks like part of the tank/stand.

they are t8s I believe, but can hold the t10 and t12. I need to go back and look at it.

I did come up with some parts to try to prototype something for a spiral cfl bulbs (daylight ones that you would put in a lamp) for the 20g. I have some reflective vinyl I will be trying it out with..... just basically building a box where the hood light should go.

My reasoning for building the box is that I live in an apartment, and not sure how well the ceiling is *lol*

Back
Top Bottom