Silicon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackwagon

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is this silicon safe for aquarium use?

Attachments

• image-196859871.jpg
    image-196859871.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 107
  • image-1786242762.jpg
    image-1786242762.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 82
Not sure, but they sell aquarium silicon at the pet stores. Or you could take that bottle and compare the composite make up?

No it os not use DAP adheseve sealant in the smaller tube it says aquarium safe on it home depot carries it im currently using it for my 3d background im just waiting for it to dry

A cheap and safe silicone to use is GE1, it's 100% silicone and will not cause harm to the tank. I have used it a few times for reseals etc. with no problems

GE 1 is just silicone, there is nothing on it that says not to use it in aquariums. What you cannot use is GE II, this contains anti-mildew agents that could eventually leach toxins into the tank.

MMantelli said:
But it also says not for use in aquariums

That's just for laws and safety of the company but it is. I'm sure quickrete says that aswell on there buckets. Nice job explaining it butterfly _koi ;)

Your tube says shower ready on it so I would assume it has some sort of mildew inhibitor so I would say don't use it on your aquarium

MMantelli said:
Thanks for clearing that up for me i had a heck of a time finding one that said it os aquarium safe. Haha ...

Ya it will cost you an ARM and a LEG buying those small tubes that lfs carry. My home depot carrys those aswell but its not with the regular caulking.

Back
Top Bottom