Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2010, 04:37 AM   #1

Silicone

Hi,

I just bought a GE 10.1 ounce 100% Silicone1 Window & Door Clear Sealant.

before i open it and reseal one of my tank, i wanna make sure if it safe for my fish.

i bought it from walmart ... i can't find a pic of it but it look like this one http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/Hom.../941923b_4.jpg

Old 04-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

That should be the right stuff. But look at the fine prints and make sure it does not mention anything about mildewcide, mildew inhibitor, etc.

A while back, GE was changing their labeling & some of the mildewcide containing stuff got called GE 1 (instead of of GE 2), causing confusion. <I think they marketed a new formulation and call that GE II, and all the old stuff got called GE I ... at least on a few of the web sites I checked .... anyways, just check the fine prints .... "window & door" should be fine.>

Old 05-01-2010, 09:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoong View Post
That should be the right stuff. But look at the fine prints and make sure it does not mention anything about mildewcide, mildew inhibitor, etc.

A while back, GE was changing their labeling & some of the mildewcide containing stuff got called GE 1 (instead of of GE 2), causing confusion. <I think they marketed a new formulation and call that GE II, and all the old stuff got called GE I ... at least on a few of the web sites I checked .... anyways, just check the fine prints .... "window & door" should be fine.>
i think you're right, i went to lowe's today and i check the GE 2 and it say.

5. allow at least 3 hrs before exposing caulk to water. not for use below the water line, where FDA compliance is necessary, or aquariums.

does that mean its the right one?

Cause the GE 1 say the same thing but > allow at least 3 hrs before exposing caulk to water. not for use below the water line or aquariums.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

GE in the US has to say "not for use in aquarium" because of some legal thing. <They make the aquarium stuff & don't want people to know the cheaper stuff is the same ....>

In Canada, I can find silicone marked "ideal for aquarium" .... that is what I use. What you want is GE window & door, without any mildewcide. <Whatever the number they use at the moment.>
Old 05-23-2010, 04:12 PM   #5

ok here my report after i reseal a 55 n a 10.

so i bought both the 1 n 2, i use the 1 on a 55 n the 2 on the 10.

i bought some feeder goldfish, throw them in the 10 n the 55, woke up today and all the feeder in the 10 die, all the one in the 55 was still a live.

im not sure if its the GE 2 that kill the feeder in the 10 but im 100% sure it was. it cant be anything else beside that. not even 1 feeder live. so i have to say its the GE 2 that i bought.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
the trouble with the type 2 as opposed to the type 1 is that it comes with anti-fungal ingredients to stop mold and mildew. correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think this will kill a goldfish.
how long did you cycle this tank before adding the goldfish? how did you cycle the tanks?
Old 05-23-2010, 11:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
the trouble with the type 2 as opposed to the type 1 is that it comes with anti-fungal ingredients to stop mold and mildew. correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think this will kill a goldfish.
how long did you cycle this tank before adding the goldfish? how did you cycle the tanks?
both tank was just setup on the same day, i bought to goldfish to feed my bigger fish n help cycle the 2 tank.

i dont think it matter if the tank is cycle or not, i usely just buy goldfish and throw them into my empty tank for a couple of days till i run out.

what i do is buy 50 feeder, fill one of my empty tank up with cold water, throw them in there, take whatever i need, feed my big fish. i been doing this since forever now. even sometime without a filter, the feeder will live about 3-5 days b4 they die.

so i think its the GE 2 i bought. imma break down that tank and reseal it over again with some GE 1
Old 05-29-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

GE Silicone II is an ammonia cure, while Silicone I is an acetic acid cure. GE Silicone I for windows and doors, is safe to use. Regardless, give it enough time to cure, 3 to 5 days seems to be about right.
Keep in mind that silicones primary use is as a caulk, not an aquarium sealant. That use was stumbled upon by a local fellow, who went on to found Crystal Aquarium, the first manufacturer of all glass tanks.

Tags
silicone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com