Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ive heard a lot of people using GE type one silicone. Everyone I have seen suggesting that says it works great. Just don't get type two

Old 02-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

The important thing to look for is the usage of the silicone. Anything that says "Tub and Tile" or "Kitchen and Bath" probably has a mildewcide and should be avoided. GE Silicone I for "Windows and Doors" has been used for years by hundreds (thousands?) of people without issue. There is no need to spend $10 for a $4 tube of silicone. For those in Canada, Rona and Home Hardware both have house brands that say "Aquarium Safe" right on the tube. A 3 pack (caulking gun tubes) of the Home Hardware brand is $10. With all the info out about this on practically every aquarium forum I am surprised that this is still an issue.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD
The important thing to look for is the usage of the silicone. Anything that says "Tub and Tile" or "Kitchen and Bath" probably has a mildewcide and should be avoided. GE Silicone I for "Windows and Doors" has been used for years by hundreds (thousands?) of people without issue. There is no need to spend $10 for a $4 tube of silicone. For those in Canada, Rona and Home Hardware both have house brands that say "Aquarium Safe" right on the tube. A 3 pack (caulking gun tubes) of the Home Hardware brand is $10. With all the info out about this on practically every aquarium forum I am surprised that this is still an issue.
When you look for ge silicone 1 just make sure it's clear not white
Old 02-25-2012, 12:23 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know, that would look so tacky to white silicone :p i ended up getting the all glass aquarium silicone. I want to just do it and not ever have to mess with it again. And i want to be able to sleep at night knowing im not wasting hundrds of dollars because of silicone....
Old 02-25-2012, 01:08 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshnoob1
I know, that would look so tacky to white silicone :p i ended up getting the all glass aquarium silicone. I want to just do it and not ever have to mess with it again. And i want to be able to sleep at night knowing im not wasting hundrds of dollars because of silicone....
Honestly that sounds like the best thing to do.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:11 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxdaddy

Honestly that sounds like the best thing to do.
Until a sealant expert, with an interest in fish keeping, let's us in on the big secret I guess...
Old 02-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

The big secret is that there are only a few actual manufacturers of silicone sealer responsible for all the various brands out there including the various house brands. GE and Dow are the main ones. I have used various house brands over the years, all of which worked and all of which said aquarium safe on the tube. Once I used GE I for "windows and doors" and it also worked, although it says not intended for aquarium use. That disclaimer shields GE from any liability if their product is used on aquariums and the tanks fails or leaks.
So, you can spend $10 for a $4 tube of silicone if it will help you to sleep better. Personally, I sleep better knowing I didn't.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:11 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
The big secret is that there are only a few actual manufacturers of silicone sealer responsible for all the various brands out there including the various house brands. GE and Dow are the main ones. I have used various house brands over the years, all of which worked and all of which said aquarium safe on the tube. Once I used GE I for "windows and doors" and it also worked, although it says not intended for aquarium use. That disclaimer shields GE from any liability if their product is used on aquariums and the tanks fails or leaks.
So, you can spend $10 for a $4 tube of silicone if it will help you to sleep better. Personally, I sleep better knowing I didn't.
I couldnt agree more! I also used the GE and spent $3.15 at lowes. I know it works. Just be sure what you get is 100% silicone and doesnt contain mildewcide. And of course clear, but then again if it is 100% silicone, it will be clear.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

What exactly is this silicone thing? I brings me to think of that rubbery glue stuff that holds my aquarium together, but then I think that maybe you're talking about something else. And if it is that rubber glue stuff, then what are you buying it for since aquariums aren't the 'put it together at home (glue not included)' kind of thing?
Old 03-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm using silicone for my saltwater sump.

Tags
silicone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com