Silicone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The sump is the tank that people place underneath their saltwater display tank. They have plumbing running down to the sump, then they keep most of their equipment in it, and it is great for adding water volume and filtration.

Then there's a line going back up to the display tank from the sump. The most common things people will put into their sump is a protein skimmer, heater(s), refugium, reactors, etc.

A refugium is a section of water that houses natural filtration like live rock, various algaes, to name a few.

GE type I or GE type II is completely aquarium safe, so long as it is the 100% silicone and doesn't contain antimildew or mold components. Nor does it have to be clear to be safe - aquarium silicones also come in black ;)

Thank you for explaining that to me freshnoob! And I also really like your username ^^

I was told the GE silicone II is not safe and contains mildicide? Or whatever its called. So please please make sure its GE silicone I. That is what I used on my slate structures.

If the tube says 'aquarium safe' that means no mildicide in it. But I know there are some out there that dont say it and are still safe, id just stick with the ones that say aquarium safe, but that's just me. (ps, I only know about this silicone stuff from this thread, so I'm basically quoting a few people at once, just without the quote box)

What exactly is this silicone thing? I brings me to think of that rubbery glue stuff that holds my aquarium together, but then I think that maybe you're talking about something else. And if it is that rubber glue stuff, then what are you buying it for since aquariums aren't the 'put it together at home (glue not included)' kind of thing?

You are correct, we are speaking of the silicone sealant sold in tubes and used for caulking, as well as building aquariums. Aquariums are "put it together at home" type of thing. Usually, it is used at home to reseal a leaking tank, but some of us build our own tanks. I have 5 I built, including one that is 45 years old and still holding water. Most of the other tanks I own were bought as leakers, which I resealed.

Wow! I never knew that you could build fish tanks at home! Is it hard?

alia258 said:
Wow! I never knew that you could build fish tanks at home! Is it hard?

As long as the edges are properly cut/measured/sanded it's pretty easy with the proper tools.

Back
Top Bottom