Silicone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freshnoob1

Aquarium Advice Freak
What silicone do you guys use for your sumps?

I've looked at every 100% silicone tube at my hardware store and they all lean against aquarium use.

I really don't feel like spending $6 on 2.8 ounces of "aquarium safe" silicone when I could get a 10 ounce tube for the same price if not less... Please Help Me....

Freshnoob1 said:
What silicone do you guys use for your sumps?

I've looked at every 100% silicone tube at my hardware store and they all lean against aquarium use.

I really don't feel like spending $6 on 2.8 ounces of "aquarium safe" silicone when I could get a 10 ounce tube for the same price if not less... Please Help Me....

I got 100% silicone from home depot and it says aquarium safe right on it. Seems to me that any silicone that says 100%, then, should be safe.

I just went through losing over half of my fish because I was looking at cost and thought one product would be ok over the aquarium safe stuff. Hind sight- I would pay the extra $5 over losing my fish (which in total cost a heck of a lot more, nevermind the grief of watching them all die) I was running custom filtration and used the glue that is used on our water lines and it seeped into my tank thus poisoning them all. I had to redo everything and buy the aquarium stuff in the long run. In my opinion save yourself the money, time,effort and grief and do it right the first time round.

Mlani said:
I just went through losing over half of my fish because I was looking at cost and thought one product would be ok over the aquarium safe stuff. Hind sight- I would pay the extra $5 over losing my fish (which in total cost a heck of a lot more, nevermind the grief of watching them all die) I was running custom filtration and used the glue that is used on our water lines and it seeped into my tank thus poisoning them all. I had to redo everything and buy the aquarium stuff in the long run. In my opinion save yourself the money, time,effort and grief and do it right the first time round.

This is sound advice. Could one 100% silicone be different than another 100% silicone though? I did a quick web search and found $5.00 caulking tubes of 100% silicone. I am still weary but that seems irrational.

Freshnoob1 said:
Thanks, I haven't tried Home Depot yet. Do you think you could get me the link to the silicone you got?

The one I bought at home depot was the small expensive tube.

Yeah, a friend of mine just lost a bunch of his stuff over thanksgiving because of bad silicone. Sorry to hear that :( You make a very good point. Yup, a lot of silicone has additives to resist mildew and mold. And marine life apparently.

Ive heard a lot of people using GE type one silicone. Everyone I have seen suggesting that says it works great. Just don't get type two

The important thing to look for is the usage of the silicone. Anything that says "Tub and Tile" or "Kitchen and Bath" probably has a mildewcide and should be avoided. GE Silicone I for "Windows and Doors" has been used for years by hundreds (thousands?) of people without issue. There is no need to spend $10 for a $4 tube of silicone. For those in Canada, Rona and Home Hardware both have house brands that say "Aquarium Safe" right on the tube. A 3 pack (caulking gun tubes) of the Home Hardware brand is $10. With all the info out about this on practically every aquarium forum I am surprised that this is still an issue.

BillD said:
The important thing to look for is the usage of the silicone. Anything that says "Tub and Tile" or "Kitchen and Bath" probably has a mildewcide and should be avoided. GE Silicone I for "Windows and Doors" has been used for years by hundreds (thousands?) of people without issue. There is no need to spend $10 for a $4 tube of silicone. For those in Canada, Rona and Home Hardware both have house brands that say "Aquarium Safe" right on the tube. A 3 pack (caulking gun tubes) of the Home Hardware brand is $10. With all the info out about this on practically every aquarium forum I am surprised that this is still an issue.

When you look for ge silicone 1 just make sure it's clear not white

I know, that would look so tacky to white silicone :p i ended up getting the all glass aquarium silicone. I want to just do it and not ever have to mess with it again. And i want to be able to sleep at night knowing im not wasting hundrds of dollars because of silicone....

Freshnoob1 said:
I know, that would look so tacky to white silicone :p i ended up getting the all glass aquarium silicone. I want to just do it and not ever have to mess with it again. And i want to be able to sleep at night knowing im not wasting hundrds of dollars because of silicone....

Honestly that sounds like the best thing to do.

Paxdaddy said:
Honestly that sounds like the best thing to do.

Until a sealant expert, with an interest in fish keeping, let's us in on the big secret:) I guess...

The big secret is that there are only a few actual manufacturers of silicone sealer responsible for all the various brands out there including the various house brands. GE and Dow are the main ones. I have used various house brands over the years, all of which worked and all of which said aquarium safe on the tube. Once I used GE I for "windows and doors" and it also worked, although it says not intended for aquarium use. That disclaimer shields GE from any liability if their product is used on aquariums and the tanks fails or leaks.
So, you can spend $10 for a $4 tube of silicone if it will help you to sleep better. Personally, I sleep better knowing I didn't.

The big secret is that there are only a few actual manufacturers of silicone sealer responsible for all the various brands out there including the various house brands. GE and Dow are the main ones. I have used various house brands over the years, all of which worked and all of which said aquarium safe on the tube. Once I used GE I for "windows and doors" and it also worked, although it says not intended for aquarium use. That disclaimer shields GE from any liability if their product is used on aquariums and the tanks fails or leaks.
So, you can spend $10 for a $4 tube of silicone if it will help you to sleep better. Personally, I sleep better knowing I didn't.

I couldnt agree more! I also used the GE and spent $3.15 at lowes. I know it works. Just be sure what you get is 100% silicone and doesnt contain mildewcide. And of course clear, but then again if it is 100% silicone, it will be clear.

What exactly is this silicone thing? I brings me to think of that rubbery glue stuff that holds my aquarium together, but then I think that maybe you're talking about something else. And if it is that rubber glue stuff, then what are you buying it for since aquariums aren't the 'put it together at home (glue not included)' kind of thing?

Back
Top Bottom