Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-30-2015, 09:07 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
Originally Posted by Reefing Madness View Post
The silicone that you see in the tank, isn't necessary. the silicone inbetween the glass panes, that is what holds the tank together, thats what bonds the glass, not the bead thats on the outside of the glass. I have a 240g tank, I have no bead of silicone running along the inside of the tank glass, its all inbetween the panes. Just get rid of that bead of silicone, you can use GE I Silicone or Aquarium Silicone if you feel better about running another bead along the inside. But trust me, if the bond breaks inbetween the panes, that bead isn't going to hold anything together.
This is true, to a point. If the tank is built perfectly, and there are no voids, the tank won't leak. The purpose of the inner fillet seal is to cover any possible voids in the butt joints. So, while the inner seal may not offer much strength, it does serve a purpose

Join a fish club. Don't have one in your area? Start one.
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:37 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I can take pics of my seal, to show bubbles inbetween the panes for you. That seal is the bond, thats what hold the glass together, if that bond breaks, that lil bead in the inside isn't going to hold back anything.

Reefing Madness Tank Pics
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote

advise, silicone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com